Cookies, Bars, + Treats/ Gluten Free/ Raw Dishes/ Vegan

The Amazing Raw Fig Bar

When I was a kid, fig bars were my favourite cookie (kind of strange for the kid who hated dried fruit). Even today I love them: they are the part cookie/part cake, tea time treat,  sweetened with the lovely non-to-sweet flavour of dried figs. Swoon, and who doesn’t love figs? (I’m sure a few of you said “me”, and that’s cool. Dried dates, apricots, or even raisins would easily replace the figs in this recipe). While store-brand varieties of fig bars have improved since I was a child (some are now made with whole grains or even sweetened with fruit juice), I just new that these little guys could be made even more nutritious, delicious, and amazing. So here we go: raw, vegan, gluten free, no refined sugar, no added fat, nut free, easy, and wait for it…..amazing fig bars!

While fresh figs have this juicy, amazing, exotic, jewel like lure, dried figs are often over looked as just another dried fruit. Unlike there fresh counter part, dried figs make for an excellent natural sweetener in anything from baking, to making a smoothie, or a Moroccan tagine. Figs are also one of the most alkalizing foods and will help balance the acidic conditions in the body brought on by an excess of meats or refined foods.

Amazing Raw Fig Bar

Recipe: (makes 12 bars) Print it Here

Dough:
1/2 cup oats (ground in the food processor to make flour)
1/2 cup coconut flour
3/4 cup dates (instead of using the plump and juicy medjool dates, I opted for the drier baking variety.)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
6 Tbsp. orange juice (more or less)
pinch of sea salt

Filling:
1 cup mission figs
1/2 cup hot water
zest of 1 orange
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Dough: Mix dates, oat flour, coconut flour, salt, and cinnamon in a food processor until the dates are chopped finely and the mixture is combined. Add one tablespoon of orange juice at a time until the mixture fully hold together like a cookie dough.

Filling: Soak figs in hot water for 30 minutes to soften. Puree figs with the 1/2 soaking water, orange zest, and vanilla in a food processor until it resembles a chunky jam.Procedure:

Divide the dough into thirds. Working with 1/3 or the dough, roll it between two pieces of parchment until it reaches a 10 by 20 cm rectangle (4 by 8 inch). Spread 1/3 of the fig filling down half the long side of the rectangle, be sure to leave a little area along the outside of the fig spread free of jam to ensure the dough will stick to each other (see picture above). Taking the bottom piece of parchment, slowly fold the dough in half along the long side and lightly press the outside edges together so that they adhere. If the dough cracks at all, it is easy to smooth out by placing parchment paper over to and rubbing the cracks out with the tips of your fingers. Repeat two more times with the rest of the dough and filling. Cut each bar into 4.

*Hint- I found that if the bars were left uncovered on the counter over night they dried out a little and where easier to handle/eat.

Amy @ Swiss Miss in the Kitchen
    September 28, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Oh Sophie this raw fig bar looks heavenly!!! I HAVE to try this recipe, I adore figs!!
    xox Amy

Amy @ Swiss Miss in the Kitchen
    September 28, 2013 at 6:14 pm

xox Amy

Jen @ Savory Simple
    September 29, 2013 at 12:47 pm

These look really amazing! A must make.

Elaine Klingbeil
    September 30, 2013 at 12:34 am

I like the golden figs better than mission. What would the difference be, do you know? I like to eat the golden figs all by themselves, they are like the Fig part of Fig Newtons.

September 30, 2013 at 3:37 am

Thanks a bunch Amy, you're so sweet! I hope you like them.

September 30, 2013 at 3:37 am

Thanks a bunch Amy, you're so sweet! I hope you like them.

September 30, 2013 at 3:45 am

Thanks Jen.

September 30, 2013 at 3:46 am

Golden figs would totally work. I used the mission variety only because that's what I had on hand, but feel free to used whatever type you prefer. I don't think you will run into any difference. The only thing I can think of is that golden figs (at lest the type of golden figs I get here) are a tad bit drier than the mission, so you may need a touch more water, but that's it. Let me know how it works out.

September 30, 2013 at 3:46 am

Sociology in Kentucky
    October 11, 2013 at 12:58 am

Fig newtons are some of my favorite cookies. And these, being all natural, sound fantastic! Thanks!

Sociology in Kentucky
    October 11, 2013 at 12:58 am

October 11, 2013 at 1:16 am

You're welcome. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

October 11, 2013 at 1:16 am

You're welcome. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

Laura
    October 21, 2013 at 4:03 am

These look amazing! I can't have oats tho is there another gluten free option? Could I use an all-purpose gluten free mix?

Laura
    October 21, 2013 at 4:03 am

October 22, 2013 at 12:54 am

Thanks! You will want a gluten free flour that doesn't need to be cooked, so that is a little limiting. I would try grinding up quinoa flakes to replace the oats, but I am sure that using all coconut flour would work too, it just might be a little more crumbly. Almond flour is another possibility.

October 22, 2013 at 12:54 am

Laura
    October 30, 2013 at 4:44 am

Ok, great! Thank you for the suggestions! I just need to pick up the ingredients and then I'll give them a try!

Laura
    October 30, 2013 at 4:44 am

November 1, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Let me know how it goes!

November 1, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Let me know how it goes!

Sarah
    November 27, 2013 at 7:56 am

I didnt think oats were raw!

Sarah
    November 27, 2013 at 7:56 am

I didnt think oats were raw!

November 28, 2013 at 12:10 am

Hello Sarah. When it comes to rolled oats the term 'raw' is used loosely. Most rolled oats have been flattened through a process of steaming and rolling. Because they have been steamed, some people considered them to be no longer raw, while some do.

You can however, buy rolled oats which have been rolled through a slow-speed rolling or cold rolling process and have never been expose to high heat or steam. They may be a bit hard to find (Blue Mountain Organics and Natural Zing and a few brands) and from what I hear, can they can go rancid rather quickly.

If you want make something raw, but don't have access to the raw rolled oats, you can always grind raw oat groats into a flour (just make sure it doesn't get to warm while grinding). Cheers!

November 28, 2013 at 12:10 am

Anonymous
    December 30, 2013 at 3:23 am

I've been looking for a recipe like this. I'm so happy I found your blog. You have so many great ideas. I can't wait to try this and others. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

January 1, 2014 at 4:38 am

Thank you so much! I am so pleased I was able to help, and I am delighted you like the blog. Comments like these make my day <3

January 1, 2014 at 4:38 am

Anonymous
    January 29, 2014 at 10:27 am

I made these today and they were easy enough, however my dough was too crumbly and it made it difficult to work with (it kept cracking, etc.). Having done it once now, next time I'll add more oj to the dough until it resembles a less crumbly dough (this time I was trying to follow the recipe exact). The taste is great though- they just don't look as pretty as the pictures 🙂

Anonymous
    January 29, 2014 at 10:27 am

January 30, 2014 at 12:33 am

Hello, I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out 100%, that can be frustrating. I know that recipes using dates can often be a bit tricky as some dates are stickier than others, which has a great effect on how much flour needs to be added. Your idea of adding more o.j sounds like the right solution. I would recommend adding just a tsp or so at a time until it comes together. Just go with your instincts, they sound bang on 🙂 I'm happy the dough at least tasted good! Let me know how the second batch turns out.

January 30, 2014 at 12:33 am

Tessa
    February 12, 2014 at 11:29 am

Looks so yummie!
    What kind of cup do you use? A normal coffeecup?

X

Tessa
    February 12, 2014 at 11:29 am

Looks so yummie!
    What kind of cup do you use? A normal coffeecup?

X

February 13, 2014 at 4:54 am

Hey Tessa,
    Thank you so much! I used a metric measuring cup, which is about 250 millilitres.

February 13, 2014 at 4:54 am

Hey Tessa,

Tessa
    February 15, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Thanks! Im gonna make this tomorrow! 😀
    Can i use Almondflour? I dont have coconut flour.. 🙁

February 16, 2014 at 3:51 am

Mmm, that's a good question, Tessa. I've never tried making them with almond flour, but I'm sure it would be good – it just might be a bit more crumbly than using coconut flour. You might want to up the oats to 3/4 cup and lower the almond flour to 1/4 cup . Let me know how it goes, Sophie 🙂

Tessa
    February 17, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Hi Sophie! I have made them!! 🙂 It was a lot of work, but very rewarding. They are so delicious! I have made it with almond flour, but my dough wasn't that much.. So i had a lot of filling over. I will eat it in my yoghurt, yumyum. Thanks for the recept. X

February 18, 2014 at 3:25 am

Awesome, I'm so happy you liked them! Yoghurt and the fig filling sounds so good!!! (I've been on a real fig binge lately, so I'm totally going to try that) Maybe the use of almond flour made for less dough, if that makes sense? Anyway, I'm glad the almond flour worked, that's great to know and I'll be sure to let other readers know too. All the best, Sophie

Fita Magana
    June 2, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Hi what can I sub oat flour with?? I want to make this so the kids can take to school

June 3, 2015 at 12:34 am

Hello Fita,

I would try another rolled grain such as rice flakes or quinoa flakes (and grind them into flour). If neither of those will work, what about almond flour? It might be a bit more crumbly, but should work.

June 3, 2015 at 12:34 am