Snacks, Dips, + Appetizers/ Vegan

Pâtés: Lentil Walnut & Sage Yam

I love vegan pates – they are great in sandwiches, on crackers, pizza, with veggie sticks, you name it. Here I am sharing two very different pate recipes. The first is my go-to vegan pate. It has a great ‘stuffing’ like flavour from all the herbs and is a real crowd pleaser. I love it with avocado and mustard, such a tasty snack.

The second pate is also delicious and can be whipped up in minutes- no baking required and if you like, you can use canned lentils. It has a wonderfully fine texture that even a stickler for traditional pate will have a hard time finding fault with.

Looking for more pate? Try the Easiest Vegan Pate

Sage & Yam

Print it Here

2 Cups Grated Yam
2 Cups Grated Carrot
1 Cup Sunflower Seeds (Roughly Ground)
1/2 Cup Grated Onion
1 Cup Nutritional Yeast (flaked)
2 Cloves Garlic (Grated)
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1 Tbsp. Dried Thyme
1 tsp Dried Sage
4 Tbsp. Ground Flax
4 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Water

Procedure:

Begin by grinding the sunflower seeds until they are fairly small, but some texture remains (a blend of fine with some small pieces is ideal). Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl, mixing well until fully combined. Place in a greased pie pan and bake at 220 C (425 F) for 50-70 minutes – or until the top is crisp and brown and the yam in the centre is cooked.

Lentil Walnut

2 Cups Cooked Lentils (I used black lentils, but puy, or even green lentils should work)
1 Cup Walnuts (toasted)
2  Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
2 Cloves Garlic
1 Rounded Tbsp. Miso
2 tsp Tamari
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 tsp. Curry Powder
1/4 Cup water

Procedure:

Combine all but the water in a food processor and puree. Slowly add the water and puree until smooth. Taste and adjust for seasoning.

aussievegetarian
    December 19, 2013 at 7:31 am

Hi, I love your blog and the Lentil Walnut pate looks delicious! But you've missed out on walnuts in the ingredients list? I'd love to know how much so I can make this for Christmas!

December 19, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Oh my goodness! Thanks for catching that! I have this wonky 12 year old laptop which sometimes likes to mysteriously erase things! I updated the ingredients list so it is accurate! Take care, Sophie <3

December 19, 2013 at 1:56 pm

sticky.
    December 23, 2013 at 2:39 pm

These both sound delicious! is the sage & yam better served warm or cold?

December 24, 2013 at 1:54 am

Thanks! I prefer it cold. The pate sets up a bit and the flavours come out better.

Anonymous
    February 14, 2014 at 3:40 pm

making these tonight for valentine movie night…So excited!! I have cooked 6 of your recipes now and every single time they have been amazing! Thanks for this awesome blog.

February 16, 2014 at 3:53 am

Thanks a bunch, that's awesome to hear! I hope you enjoyed the pates 🙂 That sounds like a great way to spend Valentines Day.

Jasmin
    February 11, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Hi Sophie,
    I've just found your blog thanks to the walnut and lentil recipe – it sounds really interesting…

Jasmin