Breakfast + Brunch/ Drinks + Smoothies/ Raw Dishes/ Vegan

Big Green Breakfast Bowl

While the first day of Spring may be two whole months away, I already feel ready for it. One of the perks about living on the West Coast, and in Victoria specifically, is that winter is pretty non-existent. Instead of having four seasons like the rest of Canada, Victoria has about two – rainy and not rainy. From September to about April it rains, and I mean rains. Then from May to about August it doesn’t, and we call that ‘summer’. Because of the lack of snow and cold, it means that spring starts early here. The bulbs in my garden are already about 4 cm high and the cherry trees which line the main streets are beginning to breakout in their pink popcorn like blossoms. Even the pansies from last year have continued to bloom all through the winter months, bringing some much needed colour to the grey days.The budding new life and green hues have been inspiring to me, encouraging me to break from my winter porridge and stewed fruit breakfast routine, forcing me to search for new, fresh, and clean flavours.

While I love a good smoothie, I often find that I get in a smoothie rut – blueberries, banana, acai, etc – it’s delicious, don’t get me wrong, but it’s also nice to switch it up a bit. Inspired by two past posts (Sunshine Acai Bowl & Tutti-Frutti Greenlicious Smoothie) I was suddenly encouraged to make green smoothie bowl (which is a thing I didn’t even know existed), and man was I pleased. Its all the greatness of a smoothie, plus the addition of the granola makes it more substantial and fitting for these chilly mornings. A bowl of this and my new favourite grab-and-go breakfast cookie (which I’ll share with you soon) is my all time new favourite breakfast feast. It’s the kind of breakfast that makes me feel like I can take on the world….or at least another rainy Victoria day.
I added this locally made greens powder to my bowl, but any greens powder should work. Often I add only spirulina or chlorella, but moringa would also be great. Alternatively, you don’t need to add any powdered greens as they are often a little on the pricey side. If you are wanting to try them but don’t want to shell out a small fortune, I highly recommend going to your local health food store and seeing what they have available in the bulk section. That way you can see if you like the earthy flavour they add to smoothies without having to purchase a 30 dollar container of something you don’t like.

Big Green Breakfast Bowl

Recipe: (serves 1) Print it Here

1 Ripe Pear (cored, but not peeled)
1 Ripe Banana
1 Cup ‘Milk’ (I used almond)
1 Cup Baby Spinach
A Thumb size Piece of Ginger (about 1 tsp grated)
1 tsp Greens Powder (optional, if not used to the taste of greens powder use only 1/2 tsp)
Fresh Seasonal Fruit
Granola, Seeds, Nuts, or Sprouted & Dehydrated Buckwheat

Procedure:

Purée the pear, banana, milk, spinach, ginger, and optional greens powder in a blender until smooth. Pour in a bowl and garnish with your favourite fruits and granola. I have also had great results making this the night before and storing it in the refrigerator for the next day’s breakfast.

Wanting more smoothies? Check out smoothie of the week!

Lenka
    January 23, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Beautiful pictures!!

Lenka
    January 23, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Beautiful pictures!!

January 24, 2014 at 12:04 am

Thanks Lenka! I've been practising 🙂

January 24, 2014 at 12:04 am

Thanks Lenka! I've been practising 🙂

food moods
    January 24, 2014 at 10:38 am

Green smoothie bowls are my favourite breakfast at the moment, I just can't get enough of them. Thanks for sharing your beautiful recipe 🙂

food moods
    January 24, 2014 at 10:38 am

January 26, 2014 at 3:08 am

You're welcome! Aren't they the best? I am so in love with them right now, too. Do you add anything special to yours?

January 26, 2014 at 3:08 am

Phoenix Bullen
    January 29, 2014 at 1:38 am

Can you tell me what fruit is that with the pink rind and black seeds?

Phoenix Bullen
    January 29, 2014 at 1:38 am

Can you tell me what fruit is that with the pink rind and black seeds?

January 29, 2014 at 2:10 am

Hey Phoenix, that is dragon fruit. It is pretty mild in flavour, somewhere between a kiwi and an apple. You can often find it in Asian super markets or your local Chinatown.

January 29, 2014 at 2:10 am

Ally @ Om Nom Ally
    January 31, 2014 at 5:10 am

It's so exciting that spring is breaking early where you are 😀 Spring and summer is my favourite time of year with the summer and tropical fruits, the desire for lighter and cooler meals. I love it all!
    I also love this green breakfast bowl, thank you so much for linking it up to the Weekend Wholefood Blender Party! It looks so creamy and almost pudding-like, I could almost eat it for dessert as well as breakfast 🙂

Ally @ Om Nom Ally