While we away in Winter Harbour last week, Adam managed to whip up some mighty tasty dinners for everyone, while I mainly stuck to creating the desserts. I had all intention of comprising a stack of easy to make dessert-y recipes, creating a shopping list of the necessary ingredients, and bringing any equipment from home that the cabin could lack. But, as things go, that didn’t happen. We ended up working a ton before Easter which left us both exhausted and all those to-dos on our ever growing to-do list, never got done. So there we were, the car packed with all our camping gear, just about to leave for a 10 hr drive, standing in the grocery store and I had no idea of what to buy. Let’s just say I blanked a bit and ended up leaving the market with nothing but a bag of chocolate chips! After some improvisation and sheer panic back at the cabin, I ended up combining the chocolate chips with some rosemary I had picked from our garden back home, and voila – Chocolate & Rosemary Olive Oil Cake with Chocolate Ganache was born!
The rosemary, which is featured in this cake is not overwhelming in flavour, but instead lends a subtle earthiness which complements well to the sweetness of the chocolate. If rosemary doesn’t strike your fancy, feel free to leave it out all together and add a splash more vanilla for flavour. Being both vegan and spelt the cake tends to be a bit crumbly, so if you like you could easily reduce the milk by 1/4 cup and add an egg.
We had a lovely little vacation: we spent some quality time with our friends, canoed from island to island, discovered a half sunken ship, and experience an actual earthquake. To be honest, I can’t think of anything better than paddling in a canoe all day until you find the perfect remote beach where you can start a fire, collect shells, and make a meal with some lovely folks.
Chocolate Rosemary Olive Oil Cake
Recipe: (Makes 1 loaf)
1 1/2 Cups Light Spelt Flour
3/4 Cup Coconut Sugar
1 Tbsp. Chopped Rosemary
1/2 Good Quality Chocolate Chips
1/2 Cup Ground Almonds
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
3/4 Cups Almond Milk
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp Vanilla
1. Combine the flour, coconut sugar, almonds, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl combine the almond milk and vinegar. Let sit for five minutes before adding the olive oil and vanilla.
3. Stir the oil mixture into the flour. Add the rosemary and chocolate chips. Mix until just combined, being sure not to over mix.
4. Pour the mixture into a parchment lined loaf pan and bake at 180 C (350 F) for 50-55 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched (I used a bit of a wacky cabin stove, so time may vary).
5. Let cool and ice with Vegan Ganache (recipe below).
Recipe: Makes Enough for one Cake
3/4 Cup of Good Quality Chocolate Chips (Vegan)
1/4 Cup Almond/ Coconut/ or Hemp Milk
1 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp Coconut Butter
1. Combine all ingredients in the top of a double boiler over low-medium heat. Stir until all the ingredients have melted and become smooth.
2. Remove from heat and let cool on the counter until the mixture begins to harden (if you are in a rush you can pop it in the fridge for a bit). Once the mixture thickens up poor over the cake.