Desserts/ Raw Dishes/ Vegan

Raw Carrot Cake with Cashew Lemon Cream

A raw layer cake!!!
…..Say whaaat?
I know what you’re probably thinking here: why? But really, the question you should be asking is, why not?
For years now, I’ve been whipping up creamy and dreamy raw cheese cakes with a wide array of delectable seasonal fruit. And so far they delight everyone who is lucky enough to snag a slice, but these kind of cakes can be both time consuming and costly to make (unless you’re stockpiling shares in cashews). So as one might guess, I was thrilled when I came across the idea to utilise a mix of ground nuts, rolled grains, and coconut to create a rich and moist cake that’s healthy enough to eat for breakfast and doesn’t break the bank.

Carrot cake just so happens to be one of my absolute favourite cakes by far, yet it always happens to be the worst kind of cake you could eat (and we’re comparing it to other cakes here, so you know it’s bad). Despite the idea that it must be good for you because its full of veggie (duh?) it’s often loaded with more oil and more sugar than your average chocolate cake. And then to make matters worse, most recipes ask for it to be topped with a high fat, refined sugar, cream cheesey mess of an icing. Not really whole foods, and not something one should probably consume for breakfast. This recipe on the other hand utilises the natural sweetness of carrots and dates, as well as the healthy omega 3 fats found in nuts, as wholesome replacements. Refined flour has been replaced with ground coconut which is rich in copper and manganese, both of which help collagen production and maintain healthy connective tissues. To round out the base, gluten free oats are added, which although aren’t technically raw, add a ton of soluble fibre. If you’d like this recipe to be fully raw or don’t eat oats, you can use raw oat groats, as well as other non-raw replacements such as rolled quinoa or rolled rice. The first time I made this cake, I made it into a traditional style layer cake (filling and all), but for the second time I turned it into a simple carrot cake slice by pressing it into a sheet pan. Both ways are easy to prepare and delicious, so simply take your pick.

Raw Carrot Cake with Lemon Cashew Cream

Recipe: (Serves 12) Print it Here

2 Cups Finely Grated (squeezed) Carrots (approximately 8)
1 1/2 Cups Rolled Oats (Gluten Free if Possible. Quinoa or Rice Flakes will also work)
1 Cup Raw Walnuts
1 1/2 Cups Medjool or soft dates, pitted
3/4 Cup Dried Coconut
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Ground Ginger
1/8 tsp. Nutmeg
1/8 tsp. Cardamom
A Pinch of Salt

Procedure:

1. Begin by grating your carrots on the smaller side of a box grater. Gently squeeze out the excess liquid from the grated carrots. You will end up with quite a lot of carrot juice. Save it for smoothies or add to soup. Once the carrots have been squeezed dry, measure them until you have about 2 cups.

2. In a food processor, or high speed blender, grind they oats until the begin to make a coarse flour. Set the mixture aside.

3. Next, grind the walnuts until they begin to turn into a flour, but not so much that they turn into nut butter (that’s another recipe). Mix into the oat mixture along with the coconut, spices, and salt.

4. Next, add the carrots and dates to the food processor/blender, and mix until the dates become well chopped. You may need to do this step in batches. If you have a Vitamix, I recommend using the tamper.

5. Once the dates are chopped, combine the wet mixture to the coconut at oat mixture. Mixing well to combine.

6. To make a cake press half the mixture in a small 15 cm (6 inch) pan (or if you’re like me and don’t have a small pan, try forming them into a symmetrical patty) which has been lined with cling film. Remove and repeat with the other half. Set this mixture in the freezer for about 30 minutes to firm up. Alternatively, you can press into a lined 20 cm (8 inch) square pan.

7. Once the two cake have set up, they are ready to ice with the Cashew Cream (recipe below). Reserve 1/3 of the Cashew Lemon Cream to sandwich the two cakes together. Ice with the remaining cream. The bar on the other hand, can be iced right away. Once iced garnished with pumpkin seeds, chopped crystallised ginger, walnuts, or coconut.

Cashew Lemon Cream

Recipe:

1 Cup Raw Cashew, soaked for at least four hours if possible
2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
2 Tbsp. Water (only if nuts are not soaked)
2 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil

Procedure:

1. Combine all the ingredients in a high speed blender. If you haven’t had time to soak the nuts, add the extra water. Puree until smooth. Taste and adjust the amount of lemon or maple syrup if needed.

Katie @ Whole Nourishment
    April 19, 2015 at 9:24 am

Nice to see an approachable, economically practical, and tasty raw cake recipe! Love the coconut in this as well as the idea of making it as a slice for an "everyday" sort of recipe.

Katie @ Whole Nourishment
    April 19, 2015 at 9:24 am

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar
    April 19, 2015 at 7:49 pm

This looks unbelievably delicious. I really love that cashew cream!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar
    April 19, 2015 at 7:49 pm

This looks unbelievably delicious. I really love that cashew cream!

Laura Peill
    April 19, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Oh my golly, this looks divine. I think the addition of lemon in the cashew cream would be sooooo delicious. Wish I had cashews to make this right now. Thanks for sharing!

Thalia @ butter and brioche
    April 20, 2015 at 3:19 am

I tend to avoid raw desserts but this carrot cake I totally am enamoured by. Pinned!

Anonymous
    April 22, 2015 at 7:22 am

Is there a way this recipe could be adapted leaving out the coconut?

Anonymous
    April 22, 2015 at 7:22 am

Is there a way this recipe could be adapted leaving out the coconut?

Christine // my natural kitchen
    April 22, 2015 at 11:01 pm

Carrot cake is my absolute favourite too, and I love playing around with raw desserts. Anything called "cake" that also passes for breakfast is a dream for me. I've become the type of person to actually stockpile raw nuts in my freezer and will definitely be making your version very soon! xo — also, congratulations on becoming a Pure Green Community Leader, I love following your blog and was happy to see your name announced!

Christine // my natural kitchen
    April 22, 2015 at 11:01 pm

Anonymous
    April 25, 2015 at 3:10 pm

How long would this cake 'keep' in the fridge? Could you freeze it? I'm thinking of making it for company–I have a string of guests coming over several days.

Anonymous
    April 25, 2015 at 3:10 pm

April 25, 2015 at 4:47 pm

Oh, I'm so pleased you enjoy it!

April 25, 2015 at 4:49 pm

Thank you so much, Katrina! The cashew cream is really yummy – it's definitely something you'd like to eat off the spoon.

April 25, 2015 at 4:49 pm

Awe, thanks a bunch, Laura! I'm delighted you enjoy the recipe 🙂

April 25, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Awesome! I'm so happy to hear that 🙂

April 25, 2015 at 4:51 pm

I would suggested maybe replacing the coconut with a bit more walnuts and oats.

April 25, 2015 at 4:53 pm

This cake would probably be fine in the fridge for about four days, and yes, it should freeze just fine. Happy entertaining!

April 25, 2015 at 4:55 pm

Oh, thank you so much, Christine! Cake for breakfast is my absolute favourite too! I'm so excited to be a part of Pure Green Magazines Spring Submissions, I hope to see some of your great recipes shared as well 🙂

Shonalika
    April 27, 2015 at 4:51 pm

I cannot believe that this is a raw (or almost raw, but whatever) cake! Looks absolutely amazing – pinning for later! Wow, I didn't know that about traditional carrot cakes – though actually that explains a lot, as I'm not much of a cake person unless they're chocolate, because chocolate, or carrot… not a fan of fluffy airy things like cupcakes. I like my deserts FULL of fat so that explains why I like carrot cake so much XD

MamaKel
    April 29, 2015 at 7:31 am

Looks awesome! Is the dried coconut desiccated coconut or coconut flour?

joy
    April 30, 2015 at 8:10 am

Good day! I was so impressed to see a very well-presented dishes that is absolutely tasty and delicious. You've done a great job.Well, thank you for sharing your talent and article it is very well appreciated. You can also visit my site if you have time.

n8fan.net

May 9, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Thanks, MamaKel. Desiccated Coconut is what I mean here.

May 9, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Ah, I'm so happy you like it! Ha, I'm not too much into airy desserts either. I like 'em dense 🙂

Col
    December 4, 2015 at 8:56 am

Would it be ok for the icing to be out for a few days or does it *have* to be refrigerated I wonder? … Awesome recipe!

Col
    December 4, 2015 at 8:57 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

Col
    December 4, 2015 at 8:57 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

Leah
    June 8, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Hi. What are the wet ingredients for this cake? Thank you!

June 14, 2017 at 2:37 am

Hey Leah, in this case they would be the carrots and the dates 🙂

Leah
    June 29, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Thank you! I love your recipes!

June 30, 2017 at 7:08 pm

Ah, you’re the sweetest! So happy you’re enjoying the recipes, Leah xox