Cookies, Bars, + Treats/ Desserts/ Vegan

Berry Galettes and Easy Vegan Pastry

Berry Galettes and Easy Vegan Pastry

A couple of weeks ago I received an email from my mum who had just come in from the bush. She was ecstatic over her gathering of enough wild blackberries to make her annual pie, and was equally pleased that she managed to do it without having to fend off the black bear that lives on their property, or the pesky wasps that often encircle the sweet fruit. Foraging for wild berries is a long tradition for my family, and a longer tradition held on the coast going back thousands of years. At home every abandoned lot, railway, or roadside bank overflows with sweet wild and Himalayan blackberries this time of year. Then there are the Salmon berries, which are the sweetest orange colour and ever so delicate, that line the country road I grew up on. And that special spot on my parents property where a wild red huckleberry bush lives. Or that patch in my mum’s vegetable garden, under the magnolia tree, where the wild strawberries live. I know it all. But that’s at home on the west coast. Here in New York, I think I’d be hard pressed to find such abundance, at least within the city limits.

But location won’t hinder me from tradition. Instead I got on the nearest subway and hit the wonderful weekend markets to grab some fresh and beautiful berries. A totally new type of adventure, but still an adventure none the less! While I used a mix of strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries, any combination of these would work well. You could even add fancy berries like currants, which would be amazing! Even stone fruit like cherries and plums would be delightful.

Berry Galettes and Easy Vegan Pastry 1

Berry Galettes and Easy Vegan Pastry Berry Galettes and Easy Vegan Pastry 3

Easy Vegan Pastry

Recipe: (makes 8 Galettes) Print it Here
(adapted from here, here, and here)

2 1/4 Cups Whole Spelt (or light spelt, or even a mix)
1/2 Cup of Cold Coconut Oil, chopped into small pieces
3/4 tsp of Sea Salt
1 Heaping Tbsp. Evaporated Cane Sugar
1/3 Cup- 1/2 Cup Ice Water
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
Almond or Coconut milk to wash
Sugar to sprinkle 1. In a food processor add the flour, salt, and the 1 Tbsp. sugar, pulse to combine.2. Next add the cold coconut oil, vinegar, and about 1/4 cup of water. Slowly add more water, a tablespoon at a time,  just until the mixture holds together when lightly squeezed. 3. Flatten the dough into a disk (you may need to knead it a bit) and wrap in cling film and chill for a couple of hours.4. Once chilled, take out the dough and let soften up for a couple of minutes. I like to work in small batches, so I divided mine in half and rolled each half about 1/8 inch (.30 cm) thick. I used a small bowl to cut out 12 cm (5 inch) circles, but anything around that size will do.

5. Spoon about 1/4 cup of berries (see below) onto each round, leaving a good cm (1/2 inch) of dough circumference. Be sure not to take too much of the juice when scooping the berries as this will make for a wet pastry bottom. Gently pinch up the sides, and wash the pastry with some milk. Generously sprinkle with sugar.

6. Bake in a 205 C (400 F) oven for 18-20 minutes or until golden. Let cool slightly, if you can, before nibbling!
Berry Galettes and Easy Vegan Pastry 4
Berry Galettes and Easy Vegan Pastry 5
Berry Galettes and Easy Vegan Pastry 6

Berry Filling

Recipe:

3 Cups Mixed Berries, sliced if large
Zest 1 lemon
Juice 1/2 Lemon
Sugar to taste, I used 2 Tbsp
A tsp. or so of flour if your berries are super juicy

1. Combine the berries with the lemon juice and zest. Taste and add as much sugar as needed. If your berries are super juicy, you may need to mix in a tsp. or so of flour.

Berry Galettes and Easy Vegan Pastry 7 Berry Galettes and Easy Vegan Pastry 8

Jessie Snyder | Faring Well
    July 10, 2015 at 5:47 pm

This brings back so many memories of living in Washington state during the summer. Wild berries galore! Absolutely dying over these galettes. Did you get your new camera/lens yet?! Cause these photos are STUNNING!

July 10, 2015 at 6:33 pm

Oh my goodness, yes Washington is probably so overrun with ripe little berries right now! If only we were there to nab some! I'm so happy you like the pics! I'm still pinching and saving for a new camera, and in the mean time trying to make the best of this old rebel. Thanks a million, girl!

That's Food Darling
    July 10, 2015 at 6:37 pm

Sophie, I love both recipe and food styling. Amazing! All the best, Lisa

July 10, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Thank you so much sweet Lisa! That's really lovely to hear! <3

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar
    July 10, 2015 at 10:21 pm

I am seriously in love with this pastry!! Unreal!

July 11, 2015 at 3:10 am

Oh my gosh, that makes me so happy! <3 Thanks, Katrina!

Medeja
    July 11, 2015 at 5:55 am

How cute! I like that you made small galettes! They look amazing 🙂

Sofia
    July 11, 2015 at 4:27 pm

I love Galettes, and mini versions are such a great idea!

Jessie Snyder | Faring Well
    July 11, 2015 at 5:55 pm

I know right! No we are both in no-berry land. Haha. Maybe again one day. And no way, you're using a rebel?! These pics?! You're killing it. Have a great weekend Sophie! <3

Sherrie
    July 11, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Sophie, this post is so beautiful. The galettes are summery perfection my friend, xo!

July 12, 2015 at 11:35 pm

Oh thank you so much, Medeja! When they're this size, you totally get to eat two 😉

July 12, 2015 at 11:35 pm

Awe, thanks buddy! You too 🙂

July 12, 2015 at 11:37 pm

I'm so happy you enjoy them too! Hooray, for galettes!!! 🙂

July 12, 2015 at 11:46 pm

Thanks a million, Sherrie! Ah, I'm thrilled you like the post! I've been drooling over your chocolate tart for days. Utter perfection! <3

kankana
    July 13, 2015 at 7:15 am

Living in CA the past few years I had got used to popping in berries every now and then. Specially blueberries, my fav! Sadly here in India, it's not available and even if you get lucky to find, in some gourmet store, they will be so freaking expensive! That galettes sounds delicious 🙂

Jade@SurrenderedStomach
    July 14, 2015 at 12:02 am

Wow! These look absolutely beautiful. I've tried to make vegan pastries before but they do not always turn out well. :/ I'll have to try these soon. So soon that I wonder if I can substitute white whole wheat flour for spelt because I don't currently have spelt in my pantry… Have you ever substituted white whole wheat for spelt? Do you think it would change the texture too much?

July 14, 2015 at 1:00 am

Wow, thanks a million, Jade! Yes, while flour should work just as well as the spelt. You may just need a little more or less water, but you'll still get the same yummy tarts and pastry! And just in time for dessert! I hope you enjoy 🙂

July 14, 2015 at 1:04 am

Oh no, Kankana! The west coast does spoil us with amazing berries, that aren't like anywhere else in the world (or as cheap for that matter!). I bet you could make some yummy galettes with Indian fruit – mango, figs, apples? I'm not even sure what's ready this time of year, but I bet it would be amazing in a totally different way! I'm so pleased yo like the post 🙂

jaderocks10
    July 14, 2015 at 2:45 pm

No thank you for your quick response Sophie! I took a peek around your blog and discovered that many more of your recipes look just as amazing as this one. 🙂 Okay then I will try the white whole wheat flour when I make the pastry… Oh yes and will definitely enjoy!!!!