Breakfast + Brunch/ Gluten Free/ Snacks, Dips, + Appetizers/ Vegan

WEEKEND CHILLS – CHOCOLATE CHERRY BIRCHER

Chocolate Cherry Bircher_ The buzzer goes off and I roll over, reaching  to the floor and with a gentle tap, hit the snooze button on my vibrating phone. This is how most mornings start. After a few repeated taps, 5:30 eventually rolls around and I muster the strength  to get up and ready for work. Just before I head out the door, I open the fridge and grab the weck jar I prepared the night before. In the haze of my morning fog this jar is my salvation and motivation. At work I’ll prepare a chemex of my favourite roast, and use the last few moments before my shift starts to catch up with my co-workers as I gleefully munch away on my pre-made porridge, savouring every mouthful before the day begins.

My usual on the go breakfast is a classic bircher which I top with frozen or season fruit. Yet, after seeing fresh local cherries in the market last week, I thought I’d jazz things up a bit. Based on the idea of Black Forrest Cake, these oats mingle with the winning combination of dark chocolate and cherries and a creamy yogurt, to make a breakfast version of (basically) cake. Adding a touch of cacao to the bircher brings a depth of flavour and a feeling of luxury without making this too sweet, or desserty. I’ve also upped the chia proportions in the bircher ratio as of late, because I find a chia heavy bircher makes a better and lighter summer breakfast as opposed to a oat heavy winter one. The final addition of cacao nibs and sliced almonds add a wonderful texture and excitement to the dish.

• Peach Iced Tea was my childhood fav (like the junky kind form the corner store), so obviously I can’t wait to try this grown-up version from Jessie
  • Friends in Victoria opened up this gorgeous new shop, which I must go look at for myself.
  • In grade 5 our class had a book based on this idea. I love seeing how other people live, and why so many people drink pop + juice?
  • Monika has one of my favourite Instagrams, and I just discovered her site. This bread has me drooling, literally.
  • Nina’s breakfast club is super sweet, and I love reading the Q+A’s from all these inspiring ladies.

Black Forrest Bircher-5 Black Forrest Bircher-6 Cherry Cherry close up

Chocolate Cherry Bircher

Serves 2-4 Print Recipe Here

1 Cups Rolled Oats
1/4 Cup Chia Seeds
2 Cups Plant Based Milk
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1 Tbsp. Liquid Sweetener (I used coconut syrup)
1 1/2 tbsp cocoa
1/8 tsp Cinnamon
Pinch Sea Salt

Optional Add-Ins: Maca, Lacuma, Reishi or Ashwagandha

Coconut or Almond Yogurt
Fresh Cherries, sliced
Cacao Nibs
Slivered Almonds

1. In a bowl mix the oats, chia, vanilla, coconut syrup (or maple syrup), cocoa, cinnamon, salt, and milk (and add-ins if you desire). Stir well to combine. Let rest for 15 minutes, and stir well again before placing in the refrigerator overnight.

2. In the morning, taste bircher and add more sweetener is desired. Layer in cups along with yogurt, cherries, cacao nibs, and slivered almonds (can be made up in the fridge in layers for up to two days).

CHOCOLATE CHERRY BIRCHER 2 Black Forrest Bircher-9 xox Sophie

Sarah | Well and Full
    June 25, 2016 at 3:12 pm

Beautiful photos, Sophie! I especially love the shots of the cherries – they look so ripe and juicy! Nothing like using seasonal fruit in a recipe, it’s the best 🙂

June 26, 2016 at 3:21 am

Awe, that’s super lovely to hear, Sarah! Thanks a mill! The cherries were so perfect, and not a bad one in the bunch. I even had to hide them from the boy friend so he wouldn’t eat them all before I could take their picture 😉

Leah M | love me, feed me
    June 25, 2016 at 4:40 pm

This looks like such a perfect summer breakfast! I just stocked up on some cherries so I think this needs to happen. I’m also definitely going to check out that beautiful new shop you mentioned!! (and refrain myself from buying one of every beautiful little thing)

June 26, 2016 at 3:18 am

Hey Leah!!! So great hearing from you. Yes, this would be awesome for all of your cherries (oh, they are super yummy and sweet right now). Hold looks very dangerous, so much beautiful potential blog props! Stay strong, girl <3

Sophie | The Green Life
    June 26, 2016 at 3:47 am

Cherries are my favourites and this looks like the perfect summer breakfast. And your photos are beautiful, as always! I love this new weekend series, Sophie! And I love the new site and logo too! <3

June 28, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Oh thank you so much, Sophie!!! You’re too sweet <3 I hope you manage to get your hands on some great Ontario cherries this season.

cakespy
    June 27, 2016 at 11:02 am

YUMMMMMMMM. This is a new concept for me but now I can’t get bircher off of my mind! Thanks for introducing me to something new and delicious 🙂

June 28, 2016 at 3:33 pm

Bircher is definitely an all consuming kinda breakfast! I hope you love it as much as I do, Jessie <3

Elenore Bendel Zahn
    July 13, 2016 at 7:43 pm

Such a delicious peek into your morning, Sophie! I’m the hugest fan of everything and anything porridge (as you might have picked up on already..). Worst part is Caspian now refuses it. Seriously a problem. Aaanyway, thanks for another amazing post and recipe, I’m off to follow some of those links 🙂

July 20, 2016 at 5:46 am

Yay, I’m so happy for another porridge enthusiast! Silly Caspian, he doesn’t know what he’s missing 😉 Hope you enjoy xox