Gluten Free/ Main Course/ Vegan

CAJUN CHICKPEA + CAULIFLOWER BURGER

cajun burger-2 cajun chickpea burger_-19 The other week Adam and I basically pulled an all-nighter, staying up with friends playing records, debating ways to deal with climate change, and even some flamenco dancing, well into the night until it was basically time to get up. If this had occurred ten years ago, I’d now be telling you about how I went to work the next day or took a final in my Sociological Theory class, but it’s not. Instead, being the thirty year olds we are, we were goners. We spent the next day recoöperating like coffee addicted zombies in our sweats, binge watching Stranger Things on Netflix, and telling ourselves we’ll never do that again.

To feed our self pity, I bravely ventured from the house to pick us up some ingredients for veggie burgers. After spending far too long in the Frozen Food aisle aimlessly looking at the unpronounceable ingredients of pre-made patties, I simply just grabbed a can of chickpeas and headed home.

Burgers are something we both love and they are perfect for this time of year, with all its outdoor eating and BBQ-ing (and subsequent BBQ hangovers). Based on the ‘meaty’ cajun chicken burger, this version utilizes canned chickpeas and our favourite veggie, cauliflower. Roasting the cauliflower helps to caramelize the sugars while also reducing the overall water content in the veggie. This helps prevent a soggy patty and the need for adding too much flour to the finished product.

Chickpeas add a boost of protein and a great texture, lending themselves perfectly to whatever flavours you throw at them. The first time we ate these I used a chilli powder my mum had gotten from the Punjabi market, which was much more spicy than the regular grocery store variety. So, if you’re like me and like a little bit of heat, feel free to use a hotter kind of chilli, or even a little more than the recipe calls for.

cajun chickpea burger_-4 cajun chickpea burger_-30 cajun chickpea burger_-34 cajun chickpea burger_-14

cajun chickpea burger_-41

CAJUN CHICKPEA BURGER WITH LEMON DRESSING

Makes 4 Burgers
Print Recipe Here

1/2 Cauliflower, cut into smallish florets (about 3 cups)
4 1/2  tsp Oil (plus a little more for cooking the patties)
Sea Salt
Pepper
Smoked Paprika
1/2 Onion, chopped (3/4 cup)
2 Cloves Garlic, sliced
1 Can Chickpeas, rinsed
1 Batch Cajun Mix (Recipe Below)
2 Tbps. Chopped Parsley or Cilantro
3 Tbsp. Chickpea Flour

Cajun Spice Mix

1 tsp. Ground Cumin
1 tsp. Ground Coriander
1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
1/2 Dried Oregano
1/4 tsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp. Ground Black Pepper

Lemon Dressing

1/2 Cup Yogurt (Plant based or otherwise)
Pinch Sea Salt and Pepper
1 tsp. Lemon Juice
1 Garlic, Grated
1/2 tsp. Olive Oil
1 Tbsp. Fresh Herbs (Cilantro, Parsley, or Chive)

1.Heat the oven to 205 C (400 F). Cut the cauliflower up and measure about three cups. Toss it with 3 tsp of your favourite cooking oil, a big pinch of sea salt, pepper, and smoked paprika. Roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes, stirring after 20. You want them nice and crispy and delicious.

2.Meanwhile, add the chopped onion to a heavy frying pan over medium-low heat, along with 1 1/2 tsp of oil. Sweat until it begins to soften, then add the garlic for a few minutes before removing from the heat. You’ll have plenty of time now to slice up avocado, tomatoes, make the Garlic Sauce, Cajun mix, or watch some Netflix.

3. Once the cauliflower is cooked, you can begin to make the burgers. In a food processor (or in my case the dry container for a Vitamix), add the Cajun Spice Mix, Chickpeas, cilantro, and onions and garlic and puree until it’s about halfway smooth but with a few chunky beans remaining. Scrape down the sides if needed then toss in the cauliflower and pulse a little more. You want it fairly uniform in texture with some chunky cauliflower goodness. Scrape the mixture into a bowl and work in the flour. Let it hang out for a few minutes for the flour to absorb the liquid.

4. Divide into four burgers and fry in a little oil (I used the pan from the onions) on both sides until crispy and brown. Once cooked I like to pop my burgers in a 190 C (375) oven (I used the cauliflower roasting tray…see a theme here), for about 10 minutes.

5. Serve on toasted buns with garlic sauce if desired, tomatoes, lettuce, onion, avocado, mustard, or whatever your faves are.

cajun chickpea burger_-33 cajun chickpea burger_-10 cajun chickpea burger_-39

Tracy
    August 11, 2016 at 10:27 am

Might be a typo or play on recipe but it says chicken above ingredient list

August 11, 2016 at 7:28 pm

lol, I guess thats what I get having my partner proof-read 😉 Thanks Tracy <3

Medha
    August 11, 2016 at 3:04 pm

This cauliflower and chickpea burger looks so hearty! I love plant-based burgers when they are homemade and this one really packs a protein punch 🙂

August 11, 2016 at 7:30 pm

So happy you enjoyed the recipe, Medha! Homemade is def the way to go <3

Elenore Bendel Zahn
    August 11, 2016 at 6:42 pm

OMG I want this now now now now!! Beautiful story and beautiful recipe. No voluntary all-nighters here but ugh there are so many.. Biggest hug!

August 11, 2016 at 7:33 pm

Oh, how I wish I could just show up at your door right now with a plate of burgers! Tell those boys they’ll have plenty of time for all night parties later, mama needs her sleep <3 Much love to you friend! xox

Tuulia Talvio
    August 12, 2016 at 12:02 pm

This look so good Sophie! I wouldn’t mind having one now 🙂 Plus I love how simple the pattie recipe is, as I feel they usually have like 20 ingredients and that just exhausts me. So gonna try this one asap! Have a lovely weekend, sending hugs from Finland! xo

Jessie Snyder | Faring Well
    August 12, 2016 at 4:37 pm

I’m kind of freaking out about this recipe right now girl. This flavor combo is sheer brilliance, and the roasting of the cauliflower? Amazing, Sophie, I need this. And as for the “next day recovery” bit, I had a good laugh, we are so the same now! Oh to jump back ten years. xo

danielle | rooting the sun
    August 13, 2016 at 2:13 am

Sophie – this is exactly everything I want in this moment of August. I love the combination of chickpea and cauliflower. We’re going to have to make these this week! — PS, it truly is amazing the feats I could wing just about ten years ago with all my zest, candor, and young, over-exuberant lust for life. THESE DAYS – yes please to netflix and sweats. xoxo

Jennifer
    August 14, 2016 at 12:33 pm

I’m gonna save this for later, it looks amazing!!
    Jen / Velvet Spring x

Jodi
    August 14, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Sophie! Your cauliflower is gorgeous! And these photos are even more beautiful – I’m in love. Give me that burger on a good day and I’d be happy – but on a day when I really feel like an old lady – ohh yes please! All nighters are far behind us, heck anything after 10pm is a doozy 😉 Ahh to getting old and being wiser, and well fed! xo

Christine markulev
    August 17, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Thanks for a healthy and yummy burger.2 ? Can you keep cooking in the frypan instead of 10 minutes in the oven and if refer to make my own organic chick peas thanks

September 6, 2016 at 6:54 pm

Hello Christine! Yes, you can totally use your own chickpeas, no problem. As for baking the patties, that should be fine too. Bake them on parchment paper at 375 F ( 190 C) for maybe 15 minutes before flipping. I’m not sure how long they’ll take, but I’m guessing 30 minutes should be a good start.

Vegan Recipes
    August 22, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Wonderful burger recipe, I love how it looks!:) I love your photos. I love the mix of cauli and chickpeas, so yummy!

September 6, 2016 at 6:50 pm

Oh, you’re the sweetest! So happy you love the pics, that makes my day! xox

Dani
    September 13, 2016 at 4:56 pm

Looks great! I will try these the next weekend.
    I have one question: Is it one whole garlic that you use for the dressing, or just one clove?

September 13, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Thanks a bunch, Dani! They are the perfect weekend meal. I used one clove (I’ll fix that for clarity) but if you love garlic like me, you might want to add a little more. xox Sophie

Kirstie Young
    November 15, 2016 at 12:42 pm

These look gorgeous! Do they freeze OK too?

November 15, 2016 at 10:40 pm

Thanks so much, Kirstie! I haven’t tried freezing them, but I don’t see why not (especially after being cooked)

Shawna
    June 18, 2017 at 1:59 am

So we made these, I’m so excited for the flavor! However, they didn’t firm up at all. Any suggestions?

June 25, 2017 at 12:18 am

Hello Shawna! I’m so happy to hear you like the flavour, but that’s too bad about the texture. I’m guessing different cauliflowers have different water content and maybe you just got a nice juicy one. I think adding a little more chickpea flower or some ground flax would help bind them together next time. Let me know how it goes 🙂