Breakfast + Brunch/ Gluten Free/ Vegan

BLENDER BUCKWHEAT BANANA PANCAKES

BLENDER BUCKWHEAT BANANA PANCAKES- WHOLEHEARTEDEATS BLENDER BUCKWHEAT BANANA PANCAKES - WHOLEHEARTEDEATS Just when it looked like spring had sprung on the west coast, we got hit with another blast of winter. It’s a bit of a novelty to see snow here, so when it happens, the world turns upside-down. The busses and train stop running, the grocery stores shelves grow bare, and that inner child can’t help but come out. With school cancelled and both of us home, the week has been full with late-night snowy strolls, cups of cocoa, and the inevitable snowball fight.

Staying it and being lazy while listening to records in our pj’s and eating pancakes is my idea of a perfect day to top off a joyous week. And these pancakes are THE laziest. Everything can be tossed into the blender for easy clean up  and pouring, and thankfully for the buckwheat flour, you don’t have to worry about them getting over mixed.

• This week I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Mikaela, Steph, and Jennifer. All really incredible local women who just so happen all make amazing food. When you spend a lot of your time working in and around your home, it’s easy to become a bit of a recluse, but the food world is full of such supportive and warm people who are eager to share and connect.
  • I recently lost it when I saw this post on Bon Appetit’s new site, Healthy-ish. In a nutshell, it sums up my entire granola, sprout, and bran filled childhood. Yes, we had all those 70’s books, and yes, there were major hits (Garbanzo Cheese Loaf) and losers (I’m looking at you Tofu Surprise). One thing I haven’t tried, but must, is the miso-cashew-nooch soup base! Yes please.
  • After a long couple of months, season four of my most beloved show this year (next to Bo Jack, obviously) is on Netflix. Try not to binge watch the  entire season all in a weekend like yours truly.
  • The charming Elenore shared her recipe for #THEryesourdoughbread, which is by far one of the easiest sourdoughs I’ve made to date. And while I would have loved to shared a picture of it, we devoured it like the bread hungry monsters we are. 10/10 will make again.
  • I’ve had some unnecessary feelings about keeping up with social media this week and all the issues it inherently brings up in oneself. Then one night while I was cooking supper, I tuned into NPR to hear a TED talk mid lecture. The woman speaking explained how the internet eats up our time and removes us from real moments, the moments that won’t be archived online for us to return to. What really struck a chord with me was when she  described love as inherently connected to attention (our time), and how “the digital world cannibalizes time and in doing so it threatens the completeness of ourselves” and the flow of love. Worth a listen, for sure.
  • Taking about loosing time online, I have this bad habit of watching strange cookie decorating videos when I can’t sleep. This one has been my favouirte this week (turn your sound off though, the music choice is rather poor).

BLENDER BUCKWHEAT BANANA PANCAKES -WHOLEHEARTEDEATS BLENDER BUCKWHEAT BANANA PANCAKES - WHOLEHEARTEDEATS BLENDER BANANA BUCKWHEAT PANCAKES

Serves 2, plus some more for snacks. Print Recipe Here

1 Cup Milk of Choice (I used Almond)
1 Banana
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1 Tbsp. Oil
1 Cup Buckwheat Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
Pinch Sea Salt

1. Firstly, heat a skillet on low heat to warm up (if you’re not using cast iron, heat it to medium). Puree the banana, oil, milk, and vanilla in a blender until smooth.
  2. Either add the flour, salt, and baking powder to the blender and mix on low until combined, or pour the liquid into a bowl with the flour and mix until smooth.
  3. Once the skillet is warm, add a splash of oil and two Tbsp. of batter (spreading out with the back of a spoon if needed). Flip the pancake once bubbles begin to appear on the top and it begins to lose its shine.
  4. Serve with syrup, yogurt, fruit, and nuts.

BLENDER BUCKWHEAT BANANA PANCAKES -WHOLEHEARTEDEATS xox Sophie

heather (delicious not gorgeous)
    February 13, 2017 at 5:44 pm

i don’t love chunks of bananas in my pancakes, but i love the idea of blending it in to help sweeten the pancakes! also staring at the blueberries and wishing for summer to break up all the apples and pears i’ve been eating.

February 15, 2017 at 4:39 am

I’m not one for cooked banana either – sometimes is a little, I don’t know, weird? I tried taking a picture of these pancakes with some diced pear but looking at the lack of colour, I knew I had to run to the shop and get something pretty. These were the first blueberries I’ve had since last summer, and although they are out of season, they tasted amazing and made my mood so much brighter. Here is to almost spring and fresh fruit on the horizon!

Maisy
    February 14, 2017 at 6:20 am

You met Steph?! I bet she’s a wonderful person in real life, too, isn’t she? I watch her videos, and she has always been so inspiring to listen to!

Those pancakes look pretty dandy, too! My boyfriend and I make pancakes literally every single Sunday, usually we use a mix of oats and buckwheat by I will definitely give your recipe a try soon !

Best,
    Maisy

February 15, 2017 at 4:42 am

Hey Maisy! Steph is such a delight! She’s one of those people who will hug you like she’s known you forever even though you’ve just met (and I’m a hugger, so I love this). She bought me tea and insisted on getting me a chocolate bar and we talked for hours. She’s a real sweetheart, and I can’t wait to have a potluck with her very soon.
      I hope you enjoy these pancakes. I love the idea of pancake Sunday, what a perfect tradition xox.

Tuulia Talvio
    February 14, 2017 at 7:28 am

Blender pancakes are the best, they’re the only ones I make nowadays ’cause I’m lazy like that haha! And I’m kind of hoping spring would come back there, as we’re coming to Vancouver in three weeks (!!). I’m SO excited!

February 15, 2017 at 4:45 am

I love it! Lazy food is the best <3 I'm so excited to hear you're coming. It has been looking more and more springy as of yesterday (and will hit 11 C this week!). I even cleaned off the porch and planted some primula. Let me know if you need any food or site recommendations or want to meet up for coffee <3

Jess @Nourished by Nutrition
    February 14, 2017 at 10:52 pm

Yum. Just YUM! These look incredible and the fact that they can be made in a blander makes it even better. I love the hearty, earthy taste of buckwheat so I can’t wait to give these a try. Also, thanks for sharing the great round up of links. I’ve been really into Healthy-ish lately. I think it’s awesome to see a mainstream magazine taking a trendy, health focused approach to recipes. I hope you’re having a wonderful week! xx, Jess

February 17, 2017 at 4:28 am

Thanks, Jess! Isn’t Healthy-ish cute? I want to eat everything they make! I hope you have a beautiful week too, buddy <3 Also, happy late Valentines!!!

Agness of Run Agness Run
    February 16, 2017 at 1:31 am

I love pancakes in any way! But these blender pancakes sound so amazing, the banana flavour would make them so adorable!

February 17, 2017 at 4:26 am

I’m so happy you like the recipe, Agness! The banana makes them naturally sweet, which is like a big win for me 🙂 xox

Shilpa
    February 16, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Sophie, This looks so good! What do you think about using buckwheat groats instead?

February 17, 2017 at 4:26 am

Hello Shilpa. I really don’t see why soaked groats wouldn’t work. You can also try this recipe (it’s a little more crepe like) but it just uses whole grains. If you want to, you could replace the mixed grains with groats and replace the water with milk and add a banana and salt, baking powder, and vanilla. http://www.wholeheartedeats.com/2016/01/whole-grain-pancakes-with-moroccan-html/
      Let me know how it works 🙂

February 17, 2017 at 3:10 am

Mmm! I love these. They are definitely getting made this weekend 🙂 This post makes me even more stoked to move to Vancouver (especially if snow actually warrants a cozy snow day, unlike here)!

February 17, 2017 at 4:21 am

Ah, I hope you enjoy them, Maya! Moving to Vancouver??? That’s wonderful 🙂 Let me know and I’ll send you a list of can’t miss spots <3

Laura & Nora @Our Food Stoires
    February 17, 2017 at 1:36 pm

these look so delicious, would love to have some now 🙂
    happy weekend!

March 9, 2017 at 11:35 pm

Thank you both so much! xox

Ruby & Cake
    February 18, 2017 at 3:41 am

I have never made blender pancakes but am excited to try it now. Those blueberries give it such a beautiful pop of colour 🙂

March 9, 2017 at 11:37 pm

To be honest, coming up with this recipe was my first blender pancakes attempt too – and I was honestly surprised it worked as well as it did! I can’t wait for spring to come and bring with it more fruits and colours <3

Louisa
    February 18, 2017 at 5:46 pm

Oh these look SO nice! I’ve never tried blender pancakes but will need to make an attemot now 🙂

March 9, 2017 at 11:38 pm

I hope you enjoy them, Louisa!

Lyndsay
    February 21, 2017 at 11:24 pm

These are the most perfect little pancake stacks and they look so good! Aww. Yay for real people meet-ups. I’ve hung out with Jenn from Foodess a few times now and she is so sweet and awesome! “The digital world cannibalizes time” feels so bang-on it’s scary. I’m a pretty plugged-in wiener dog but I need to plug-out. (I also love cookie decorating videos!!! They are so OCD, you simply MUST watch til the end…) PS I’d love to meet up sometime in real life too! ^__^

March 9, 2017 at 11:40 pm

Yes! I would love to meet up and chat in real life! It’s great to see people in the flesh and put a face to all that hard work one sees on the net. Jenn is a real doll, isn’t she? I learned so much from her <3

Sandra
    February 22, 2017 at 11:55 am

Wow! This sounds so Delicious!!

March 9, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Thank you, Sandra! xox

Sara
    February 22, 2017 at 6:49 pm

You are SO right about pancakes being the ultimate comforting food, so perfect for being snowed in! I’ve been wanting to try buckwheat flour for awhile, but was unsure of where to start – this should make it easy (and delicious!). I love that banana is the only sweetener. They look great, Sophie!!

Kim | Unrefined RD
    February 23, 2017 at 4:29 am

These pancakes look absolutely dreamy! And lazy weekends + easy pancakes are a match made in heaven.

March 9, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Thank you, Kim! Here’s to lazy weekends 🙂

Aysegul Sanford
    February 26, 2017 at 2:45 pm

Oh how much I wish I could make these pancakes today. We are in the process of moving and I am maxed out of hotel food. Don’t get me wrong, they have delicious food, but nothing they serve is healthy.
    Though in just a few days, we will be in our new place. I am putting this on the list of recipes to try as it sounds so SO easy and looks incredible delicious. 🙂
    PS: I love those plates SO SO much. 😉

March 9, 2017 at 3:08 am

I’ve been watching your move – it’s always such a stressful thing. I’m pretty sure the last time we moved, we lived off of Kettle Chips and Amy’s frozen pizza. I seriously wish I could send you a big ‘ol plateful of pancakes right now. And yes, these plates! A lady in town makes them – her stuff is aaaaamazing http://atelierstgeorge.com/collections/ceramique