Gluten Free/ Main Course/ Vegan

SPRING HERB PASTA WITH LEMON + PEAS

SPRING HERB PASTA WITH LEMON + PEAS

Can you guys feel it?! That lightness and joy that can only come when spring is finally here? Depending on where you live in this hemisphere, it can still feel like a winter wonderland outside (sorry all you east coasters), but it’s technically spring, and I’m embracing it full on. So far Vancouver has proven to be very Vancouver and kept on it’s trajectory of raining just about every day. In those fleeting moments where the rain momentarily stops, I’ve been running outside to rake the yard,  turn over the garden beds, or admire the small patch of narcissus that have poked their heads out of the earth.

I’ve never taken myself as a person who feels the effects of the seasons in a negative way. Cozy socks, sweaters and soups are my jam, so I always thought I loved winter, but this winter has been long and dark. It’s not until these moments of being outside in the sun overcome with feelings of bliss and energy do I realize that these emotions have been absent all winter.

Last week we were granted what felt like a true spring day. We went for a walk and  grabbed a doughnut. I dug in the garden and trimmed the hydrandra and felt the warmth sun on my skin for the first time in six months.

Despite being in a state of disrepair, the garden has come through the winter looking rather lively. I managed to find one rouge purple cabbage from last year (half rotten, which gave me a little startle), some kale trees that kept us going all winter, and a small little patch of chives that have been holding out despite the unusual amount of snow this season.

Grabbing together what I could from the little chive patch, I took them inside and immediately got to working making us the kind of spring dish  I like to refer to as ‘lazy’ food.

PASTA WITH LEMON + PEAS SPRING HERB PASTA WITH LEMON + PEAS

This is just the type of dish I want to make when I’d rather be outside.

It’s quick, made in under 15 minutes, and uses only one bowl. Beyond the ease, it’s the embodiment of spring – filled with lemon, tender greens, and sweet peas. I’ve used frozen peas here, because there is no shame in frozen vegetables, but fresh ones would be better. Other spring favourites like thinly sliced asparagus would make a great sub or addition. And while I know that many of you stay away from pasta’s and such, a whole grain like quinoa or farro would turn this into more of a grain bowl/ salad, which is delicious  in it’s own right.

The final garnish is a super easy sunflower crumble which I love to put on everything from avocado toast (so good with a little lemon) to roast root veg, or soups. Word to the wise, have it handy to sprinkle on eeeeverything.

Spring Herb Pasta with Lemon and Peas SPRING HERB PASTA WITH LEMON + PEAS Herb and Lemon Pasta with Peas

SPRING HERB PASTA WITH LEMON + PEAS

1/2 tsp. Lemon Zest
2 tsp. Lemon Juice

Garnish
1/2 Avocado, Chopped
Chili Flakes, Black Pepper, and Salt to Garnish
2 Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
6 Tbsp. Toasted Sunflower Seeds (mine were salted, if yours aren’t add a pinch of salt)
Pea Shoots (optional)

1. Cook the pasta according to instructions. Around the mark when you have only a minute left on the timer, add the frozen peas to the water to thaw. If you’re using fresh peas, feel free to eat them fresh at the end.
  2. While the pasta is cooking, chop the fresh herbs, zest the lemon, and grate the garlic on a micro plane.
  3. To make the sunflower crumble, add the sunflower seeds, and nutritional yeast to a food processor and pulse to a fine meal has been made. I used already toasted and salted sunflower seeds from the market, but if you’re toasting your own, you may want to add a pinch of salt.
  4. Once the pasta and peas are cooked, drain them and return them to the pot. When the pasta is still nice and hot add the oil and garlic (the heat of the pasta will cook it slightly), along with the salt, lemon zest and juice. Stir to combine before adding the chopped herbs.
  5. Serve with more chopped herbs, chopped avocado, salt and pepper, and sunflower crumble.

PASTA WITH LEMON + PEAS
SPRING HERB PASTA WITH LEMON + PEAS spring pasta Spring Herb Pasta with Lemon and Peas

Sarah | Well and Full
    March 24, 2017 at 2:24 pm

I haven’t really caught the spring vibes over here yet… it’s still in the 20’s and 30’s (fahrenheit, of course) and I haven’t put away those bulky sweaters yet. But that doesn’t mean I can’t COOK like it’s spring, y’know? 😉 This pasta looks so gorgeous and fresh… and anything garnished with avocado is fine by me! 🙂

March 26, 2017 at 7:38 am

Oh, Sarah! I’m sending you some sunshine vibes right now! It isn’t that warm here (like 50 F) but that’s not stopping everyone from heading to the beach and pretending it’s much, much warmer out. I can’t wait for all the spring veg to hit the shelves soon! My oh my do they make life more inspiring. Much love to you lady <3 And yea to avocado!!! 🙂

Jess @Nourished by Nutrition
    March 24, 2017 at 8:15 pm

This post perfectly displays your happiness and radiates spring in all ways! The colors, light, flavors – it doesn’t get much better than this. Plus, spring pasta in 15 minutes? Yaaaasss. I love when dinner coming together lightening fast with kitchen staples. Your flower pots and Instagram post has me itching to get to the nursery and start planting. I think I know what I’ll be doing this weekend! xx

March 26, 2017 at 7:41 am

Oh, Jess! You’re such a sweetheart! <3 I can't wait to see what lovely treasures you find at the nursery! Those little kale seeds I planted have already sprouted, and gosh are they cute. Happy planting to you, friend!

Ruby & Cake
    March 25, 2017 at 3:35 am

What a gorgeous homage to early spring! It all sounds so delicious. We are opposites I guess right now everything is dying off and preparing itself for winter. But I am pinning this for in about 6 months when it is our springtime 🙂

March 26, 2017 at 7:45 am

Lol, I love a girl who plans! I always find it baffling /amazing that half the world is in opposite seasons as the other. I hope you have plenty of wooly socks and sweaters, and cozy soups a head of you. xox
      Happy belated autumn equinox to you!!!

March 25, 2017 at 2:32 pm

I feel you on the winter this year. I am usually into all the cozy vibes, but I think the cold and dark really got to me this year. The spring weather is a relief and joy for me (even though we’re not quiiiite there yet in Montreal). This bowl looks so bright and inviting! I want to whip it up and sit outside on the front porch, watching everything grow and bloom <3

March 26, 2017 at 7:51 am

Wasn’t it a hard year? I feel like maybe it was an extra long winter this year, I don’t know. And I guess Montreal is still in the thick of it. Hopefully soon the snow will melt and some west coast sunshine will make it’s way out east. Porches and blooms sound like a right old plan <3

Heidi | Enlightened Decadence
    March 25, 2017 at 10:56 pm

It’s amazing how resilient kale is! After the winter we had, I’d expected it all to rot. I just pulled the remaining plants today (maybe I shouldn’t have?), but they were bright, green and growing. You’ve inspired me for some springish pasta this week! Lovely post!!

March 26, 2017 at 7:47 am

Ah, thanks Heidi!
      Kale, the little plant that could 🙂 I hope you can find some time soon to do some planting (despite the deer) and get to enjoy some springy weather. I saw that Victoria already had blossoms. I hope they manage to creep up island soon <3

Jodi
    March 27, 2017 at 9:42 pm

Oh happy Spring, Sophie! I know what you mean, it has been long winter this year and I too am looking forward to getting my hands in the dirt. I love a quick and easy meal, and nothing gets me more jazzed for spring than PEAS! Gorgeous photography as always x

March 28, 2017 at 5:58 am

Spring happy dance, Jodi! It feels so good to get out in the fresh air again and get your hands dirty. It is seriously the best cure for the winter blues. I cannot wait to see pics of your garden this years!! I just planted two kinds of peas, so hopefully they’ll be more pea recipes coming soon too. 🙂

heather (delicious not gorgeous)
    March 28, 2017 at 4:04 pm

spring!! just got back from portland, and it was raining all sunday. nonstop. i thought i loved rain, but i think i love it more when it comes periodically (thank you, california). anyways, this sounds like such a fresh, zingy way to celebrate spring! yay (:

March 29, 2017 at 5:19 am

Happy spring to you too, Heather!!! Here in Vancouver it probably rains as much as Portland, lol. I’d love some of your California sunshine any day, but for now I guess the rain will do 🙂