Lots of lemon and dill make this vegan red lentil soup bright and full of flavour. It's the best lentil soup you'll ever have and perfect for every season. Lots of herbs and lemon brighten things up and will keep you coming back for more.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Potatoes: try subbing yam, sweet potato, more carrots, or pumpkin.
- Spinach: chopped kale or chard or arugula can be substituted for spinach. If you want to use frozen spinach, add it with the lemon slices so that it has time to thaw fully.
- Add-ins: you can add more vegetables to the mix, and change up the herbs to suit your preference.
Step by Step
Step 1: sauté the onion and leek, then add the celery and garlic.
Step 2: add the potato, carrot, and lentils to the pot.
Step 3: stir in the stock and spices, then bring to a boil.
Step 4: simmer for 30 minutes, then add the lemon and greens. Serve hot.
- Season to taste: season when you add the lentils as outlined in the recipe, then taste the soup when it's finished cooking and add more salt to your taste.
- Don't forget the toppings: it's a great soup as is, but like most things, a few add-ins will take it over the top! A little creamy feta and some extra herbs are delicious.
- No stock, no problem: if you don't have vegetable stock, don't worry. The store-bought versions are mostly just salt anyway, so use water and add some more salt to compensate (taste to check).
How to Store
Storage: keep in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days without any added toppings.
Freezing: transfer cooled soup to airtight containers and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat as usual. This soup freezes really well.
Do I need to rinse lentils for soup?
Depending on the quality of the lentils, you make want to pick them over and rinse before cooking, especially if they look dusty or broken.
How do you thicken lentil soup?
The trick to a nice thick lentil soup is not to reduce the amount of lentils called for. They'll naturally thicken the soup as they cook, absorbing the stock.
What color lentils are best for soup?
Red lentils will make for a thicker, slightly stew-like soup, and cook quickly. Black, brown, and green lentils will hold their shape and not break down during cooking, so it just depends what you like most.
If you make this Red Lentil Soup or any other vegan soup recipes on Wholehearted Eats, please take a moment to rate the recipe and leave a comment below. It’s such a help to others who want to try the recipe. For more WHE, follow along on Instagram or subscribe for new posts via email.
Best Lentil Soup
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Medium sized pot
- Wooden spoon
- 1 tablespoon Coconut or Avocado Oil
- 1 Medium Onion Chopped (approximately 1 Cup)
- 1 cup Chopped Leek Chopped Leek
- 2 Stalks Celery Chopped (approximately 1 Cup)
- 4 cloves Garlic Diced
- 2 Small Yellow Potatoes Chopped (approximately 1 Cup)
- 3 Carrots Chopped
- 5 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 tablespoon Dried Dill
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- ½ teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1 cup Red Lentils picked over
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ Lemon + ¼ Cup Lemon Juice
- 2 cups, packed Spinach
- Lemon Slices
- Fresh Dill
- Feta or Vegan Feta
- In a medium pot heat the oil to medium low and add the onion and leeks. Stir them and let them sauté for 5 minutes, or until they begin to become tender. Add the garlic and celery and cook for a few more minutes until the flavours mingle.1 tablespoon Coconut or Avocado Oil, 1 Medium Onion, 1 cup Chopped Leek, 2 Stalks Celery, 4 cloves Garlic
- Add the carrots, potatoes, stock, spices, lentils, and salt. Cover and bring to a simmer for 30 minutes, string intermittently.2 Small Yellow Potatoes, 3 Carrots, 5 cups Vegetable Stock, 1 tablespoon Dried Dill, 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme, ½ teaspoon Ground Coriander, 1 cup Red Lentils, 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- Once the lentils and veggies are cooked, take the seeds out of ½ of a lemon and slice it into paper-thin sections (you can cut each in to ¼ or ⅛ths if you want smaller pieces.½ Lemon + ¼ Cup Lemon Juice
- Add the lemon slices to the soup (peel and all) and let cook for a few more minutes to help them soften.
- Take the soup off the heat and stir in ¼ cup of lemon juice and the spinach. Serve immediately with any garnish you like.2 cups, packed Spinach, Lemon Slices, Fresh Dill, Chive, Feta or Vegan Feta