I've been feeling a bit more stressed than usual this last little while. Firstly, thanks to the a-not-to-be-named kitty, my computer got a cup coffee spilt on it, frying it totally dead. Then my beloved camera died (both reasons I've been quiet on here lately). Then there are the classic day to day life happenings that can wear me down when I'm not fully taking care of myself.
Luckily for me, I have a long list of tried and true stress reliefs at my arsenal that I turn to in cases like these. My classic go-to's usually include the typical long soak in the tub or evening spent in listening to records, but lately, I've been getting more and more interested in herbalism and finding the right herbs to naturally ease my jitters. Herbs like ashwagandha, holy basil, chamomile, lavender, and skullcap have been my favourites to sip on come those moments of stress.
A soothing warm cup of tea combined with the powers of the right plants can seriously help zen me out. So, when my friend Lauren from Wooden Spoon Herbs told me of some tinctures she had specifically made for coping with stress, I was beyond excited. All Wooden Spoon Herbs tinctures combine some of the greatest American grown herbs into specifically designed tinctures that combat anything from allergies, to hangovers, to migraines. For this recipe I chose the Anxiety Ally which is a combination of holy basil, skullcap, lemon balm, oatstraw, ashwagandha, and lavender. Mixed with a little bit of calming chamomile, warming spices like ginger and cinnamon, and raw honey (which relieves stress), you basically have the most delicious nerve-soother around. If you're looking for more anxiety tips, check out my tips on how to make a toolbox here.
This latte is a great drink to sip come evening or past that point when caffeine doesn't serve you well. While I opted for honey in this recipe, maple syrup would make a great vegan replacement. You may even want to the recipe and have two giant mugs like we did.
Happy weekend! It's feels so good to be back <3
WEEKEND LINKS + LOVES
- These great articles featuring Lauren from Wood Spoon Herbs from Beth Kirby and Golubka Kitchen.
- My new favourite Instagram from sweetheart Lalah Delia will sure to be your new number one source of daily wisdom. Plus, I'm loving the colour scheme 🙂
- Two of the coolest woman on the net are hosting a "Radical Witch Program" which teaches about herbalism and elemental eating. If you're looking to deepen your knowledge on the subject, this programme is for you!
- Speaking of herbalism, this movie combines everything I love- animals, plants, and eccentric older ladies.
- Just finished reading this book and can't recommend it enough. This one is next on my list, followed by a re-read of this classic.
- Sasha just put up an amazing resource guide, if you're suffering ill effects of the season (like crazy dry skin), she has some very effective oil suggestions.
- An older post, but these amazing people are friends of a friend and their book is ever so cute! Seriously worth checking out if you're into small homes.
- Love this!
CALMING CHAMOMILE LATTE
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1 cup Plant-based Milk unsweetened
- 1 cup Water or 1 tea bag
- 1 tablespoon Dried Chamomile
- 2 teaspoons Honey or maple syrup to be vegan
- 2 teaspoons MCT oil or Coconut Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 pinch Ginger
- 12 drops Anxiety Ally tincture optional but amazing!
- Bring the milk and water to the boil, add chamomile and remove it the tea from the heat.
- Let steep for five minutes.
- Strain the tea into a blender with the honey (or maple syrup), oil, tincture, cinnamon and ginger.
- Puree until frothy with a whisk or in a blender. Divide among 2 mugs and garnish with a pinch more cinnamon.