A calming chamomile latte for anxiety and stress. Vegan and made using herbs from my friends at Wooden Spoon Herbs (not sponsored, we're actually friends), this caffeine-free latte will calm your nerves. For this recipe I chose the Anxiety Ally, a combination of holy basil, skullcap, lemon balm, oatstraw, ashwagandha, and lavender. Mixed with a little bit of calming chamomile, warming spices like ginger and cinnamon, and raw honey (which relieves stress), you basically have the most delicious nerve-soother around. If you're looking for more anxiety tips, check out my tips on how to make a toolbox here.
This latte is a great drink to sip come evening or past that point when caffeine doesn't serve you well. While I opted for honey in this recipe, maple syrup would make a great vegan replacement. You may even want to double the recipe and have two giant mugs like we do.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Milk: not all homemade plant milks heat up that well. If you're using homemade, I find soy and nut milks to be the best for warm drinks (others like oat can thicken when heated).
- Honey: if honey isn't a part of your diet, you can use maple syrup or your preferred sweetener instead.
- Dried chamomile: if you can't get the loose herb dried, then use a chamomile tea bag instead.
- Tincture: I love the anxiety ally tincture but you can use any you like if you feel that it has the most benefits for you!
- Sweeten to taste: this is on the sweeter side as it's meant to be quite soothing, but you can adjust the amount of honey added to suit you.
- Froth before serving: that frothy top is so nice and well worth the extra time! A frother, immersion blender, or heat-safe standing blender all work well.
- Omit the oil if you want: a little added fat can help to reduce anxiety and that's why it's present, but you can leave it out if you find that it makes the latte too heavy.
If you make this Chamomile Latte recipe or any other vegan drinks on Wholehearted Eats, please take a moment to rate the recipe and leave a comment below. It’s such a help to others who want to try the recipe. For more WHE, follow along on Instagram or subscribe for new posts via email.
Calming Chamomile Latte
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1 cup Plant-based Milk unsweetened
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tablespoon Dried Chamomile or 1 tea bag
- 2 teaspoons Honey or maple syrup to be vegan
- 2 teaspoons MCT oil or Coconut Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 12 drops Anxiety Ally tincture optional but amazing!
- Bring the milk and water to the boil, add chamomile and remove it from the heat.1 cup Plant-based Milk, 1 cup Water, 1 tablespoon Dried Chamomile
- Let steep for five minutes.
- Strain the tea into a blender with the honey (or maple syrup), oil, tincture, cinnamon and ginger.2 teaspoons Honey, 2 teaspoons MCT oil or Coconut Oil, ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon, 1 pinch ground ginger, 12 drops Anxiety Ally tincture
- Puree until frothy with a whisk or in a blender. Divide among 2 mugs and garnish with a pinch more cinnamon.