The buzzer goes off and I roll over, reaching to the floor and with a gentle tap, hit the snooze button on my vibrating phone. This is how most mornings start. After a few repeated taps, 5:30 eventually rolls around and I muster the strength to get up and ready for work. Just before I head out the door, I open the fridge and grab the weck jar I prepared the night before. In the haze of my morning fog this jar is my salvation and motivation. At work I'll prepare a chemex of my favourite roast, and use the last few moments before my shift starts to catch up with my co-workers as I gleefully munch away on my pre-made porridge, savouring every mouthful before the day begins.
My usual on the go breakfast is a classic bircher which I top with frozen or season fruit. Yet, after seeing fresh local cherries in the market last week, I thought I'd jazz things up a bit. Based on the idea of Black Forrest Cake, these oats mingle with the winning combination of dark chocolate and cherries and a creamy yogurt, to make a breakfast version of (basically) cake. Adding a touch of cacao to the bircher brings a depth of flavour and a feeling of luxury without making this too sweet, or desserty. I've also upped the chia proportions in the bircher ratio as of late, because I find a chia heavy bircher makes a better and lighter summer breakfast as opposed to a oat heavy winter one. The final addition of cacao nibs and sliced almonds add a wonderful texture and excitement to the dish.
WEEKEND LINKS + LOVES
- Peach Iced Tea was my childhood fav (like the junky kind form the corner store), so obviously I can't wait to try this grown-up version from Jessie
- Friends in Victoria opened up this gorgeous new shop, which I must go look at for myself.
- In grade 5 our class had a book based on this idea. I love seeing how other people live, and why so many people drink pop + juice?
- Monika has one of my favourite Instagrams, and I just discovered her site. This bread has me drooling, literally.
- Nina's breakfast club is super sweet, and I love reading the Q+A's from all these inspiring ladies.
Chocolate Cherry Bircher
Serves 2-4 Print Recipe Here
1 Cups Rolled Oats
1/4 Cup Chia Seeds
2 Cups Plant Based Milk
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1 Tbsp. Liquid Sweetener (I used coconut syrup)
1 1/2 tbsp cocoa
1/8 tsp Cinnamon
Pinch Sea Salt
Optional Add-Ins: Maca, Lacuma, Reishi or Ashwagandha
Coconut or Almond Yogurt
Fresh Cherries, sliced
1. In a bowl mix the oats, chia, vanilla, coconut syrup (or maple syrup), cocoa, cinnamon, salt, and milk (and add-ins if you desire). Stir well to combine. Let rest for 15 minutes, and stir well again before placing in the refrigerator overnight.
2. In the morning, taste bircher and add more sweetener is desired. Layer in cups along with yogurt, cherries, cacao nibs, and slivered almonds (can be made up in the fridge in layers for up to two days).