This chocolate hemp smoothie is rich and creamy and filled with protein from hemp and almond butter. It is the perfect base to make different flavoured smoothies.
- frozen banana
- almond butter
- cocoa or cacao powder
- cacao nibs
- vanilla extract
- hemp hearts
- nut milk
- ice cubes
- sea salt
Tips + Notes
Smoothies are one of those things that feel funny to look at a recipe for. I mean—banana, milk, berries, what could go wrong? Well, if you're anything like me, then probably a lot. As simple as they are to make, I have undoubtedly made some terrible smoothies. Too icey, too chunky, too grey, you name it. But not anymore. This chocolate hemp smoothie is my favourite base to use for a well balanced, creamy, and rich smoothie. It is loaded with enough nutrients to keep you going, but also tasty enough to feel like a special snack.
While I kept this as simple as possible, feel free to up the ante by adding some of your favourite powders, or my flavour suggestions below.
Change the flavours to whatever you prefer or have on hand.
- Mint—replace the vanilla with a few drops of mint extract
- Mocha—use 1/4 cup cold brew instead of ice
- Mushroom—add a tsp. of your favourite mushroom powder. I like this one
- Greens—add a tsp. wheatgrass powders. I love Amazing Grass
- Mexican Chocolate—add 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and a pinch of cayenne powder
- Peanut Butter Cup—replace almond butter with peanut butter
Other Favourite Smoothies
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 Tbsp. almond butter
- 1 Tbsp. cocoa or cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp. cacao nibs
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. hemp hearts
- 1—1 1/2 cups nut milk
- 2 ice cubes
- Pinch sea salt
- Put everything in a blender, puree until smooth. Add a touch more milk if you like a thinner smoothie.
Skip the ice cubes if you don't like your drinks to be too cold 🙂