The weather on the coast can be fickle. One day it's as bleak as late autumn with winds that howl and rain that raps on the window pains. The next morning, the sun comes pouring into our bedroom window, the air is thick and hot, and our heavy bodies are unable to navigate our way through it. On days when it's like that, cooking is never at the top of our list. Even making a salad seems ridiculously labour intensive. On nights like these yogurt, cereal, and banana ice cream often masquerade as dinner, followed by a smoothie for good measure and a little more sustenance.
When it comes to smoothie making, I fall into the old banal combinations - almond milk, blueberries, banana - voila, done. Let's be honest, it's boring. The other day I was thinking about the smoothies that my mother fed us as children, and which she referred to as milkshakes (as naive children, my little sister and I believed to be true). Most of her 'milkshakes' started off with yogurt as the base, something I don't think I've added to a smoothie in years.
Adding yogurt adds a nice tang to what can sometimes be a sweet meal, as well as adding a little more thick and creamy consistency (which I'm all about). Side note, yogurt and orange juice in a smoothie with some ice and maybe a banana or mango if you're feeling fancy, makes for a killer Orange Julius rip-off.
WEEKEND LINKS + LOVES
- Did you guys know our favourite fruit was in fact a flower? And plenty of other mind boggling facts.
- My gal has a new show with Snoop Dogg, hello new guilty pleasure.
- Vegan yogurt taste test! Wishing we got better options here in CND, but I recently found a spot carries the best brand ever. What's you favourite?
- This website is gorgeous, and I can't wait to try this lovely gluten free loaf or even this magical black one.
- This has got to be my favourite show on T.V, I can't wait until it's back on.
- Sometimes I think about living in a micro home, and these sure as heck have me convinced
- P.S. Get out there and do some spotting while you still can, guys!
- This no-turn ice cream looks crazy good/ I've been meaning to make granola for a week now, but finally Renee has me pumped about it/ Must play around more with Aquafaba (despite the fact I feel embarrassed to say its name out loud....) after seeing these Milkshakes.
COCONUT RASPBERRY SMOOTHIE
Makes 2 Small or 1 Large
Print it Here
2 Frozen Bananas
½ Cup Frozen Raspberries (plus more for garnish)
¼ Cup Plain Coconut Yogurt (plus more to garnish)
2 Tbsp. Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
1 Tbsp. Hemp Hearts
1 ½ Cups Coconut Water
1 tsp. Goji Powder (or Maca, Lacuma, or Rose Hip Powder)
1. Puree all the ingredients together on high until smooth. Add some crushed berries to a glass and top with a spoon of yogurt before adding the smoothie. Garnish with some hemp hearts if desired.