The perfect autumn sweet potato smoothie with ginger, cinnamon and plenty of warming spices. And best of all, it's banana-less
Happy autumn and ginger smoothie season! Things have definitely gotten cosier and homier around here over the last week. It's been getting a lot colder outside and I've fully embraced my fall habits of bread making (7 loafs this week -some of which you'll see soon), oatmeal eating, and having 18 blankets on our bed- much to someone else's chagrin. One of my fall resolutions (do other people do these or am I alone?) this year was to make a conscious effort to drink more smoothies instead of reaching for the carb-laced cookies and toasts I love to snack on come these colder months. Luckily for me, my friends at The Juice Truck shared their gorgeous new book with me just in time for resolution season!
The Juice Truck Book
The Juice Truck is one of Vancouver's many fabulous juicy spots but it stands apart for so many reasons. Besides making my favourite cold-pressed juices (the Profile 10/10) and the best vegan soft serve in town, they offer a co-working space, host Steph Yu's Sunday Soulvice, co-host Mindful Movie nights with Erin Ireland, and help promote plant-based living through Plant-based Vancouver. Yeah, so basically they're all around amazing.
And naturally, their book is nothing short of beautiful! Well balanced with recipes for milk, smoothies, juices, and plant-based meals and sweets, it has everything you need to help find inspiration. I often find myself in ruts of making green-brown smoothies, so I was so thrilled when I saw how vibrant and flavourful their smoothie recipes are - such far cry from the pond scum I make.
- cooked yam
- cocoa powder
- vanilla extract
This sweet potato smoothie is easy to make, you'll just need to add everything but the milk to a blender. Then top with enough almond milk (or plant based milk of choice) so that it comes up to the 500 ml mark on the Vitamix (if you're not using a Vitamix just add about 1 cup milk and see if you need more after blending).
Puree until smooth. I tossed in some extra ice to make it nice and cold, but that's not necessary.
Other Smoothie Recipes
Ginger Sweet Potato Smoothie
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 2 Thumb-Sized Pieces of Ginger peeled
- ½ cup Baked Pumpkin ⅓ Cup Canned. I opted for Cooked Yam
- ¼ Avocado
- 1 Medjool Date pitted
- 1 tablespoon Cacao or Cocoa Powder
- Shake of Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Vanilla Powder or a splash of vanilla extract
- Plant-Based Milk
- A sprinkle of nutmeg for garnish optional
- Add everything but the milk to a blender. Top with enough almond milk (or plant based milk of choice) so that it comes up to the 500 ml mark on the Vitamix (if you're not using a Vitamix just add about 1 cup milk and see if you need more after blending).
- Puree until smooth. I tossed in some extra ice to make it nice and cold, but that's not necessary.