Make your own lavender pillow spray with just 4 ingredients! This pillow mist might help you get a better sleep and naturally scent your bedroom. Made with lavender and chamomile oil, water, and witch hazel, it's a great waste-free option that you can make yourself. It also costs pennies to make!
If you're having a hard time sleeping, you might also like this guide on how to get a better night's sleep. For more lavender-based crafting, try making your own lavender wand with fresh blooms or a DIY lavender sachet.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Lavender oil: lavender can help with better sleep and calming before sleep, so you'll sleep more soundly. Make sure you're using pure essential oil and not a mix.
- Chamomile oil: another scent that can help to calm and assist with sleep, but if you don't like it, you can leave it out.
- Distilled water: tap water can cause your pillow spray to spoil more quickly (interacting with the oils) so distilled water is the best bet for longest-lasting spray.
- Witch hazel: or vodka, whatever you have on hand. This acts as a preservative.
How to Make Lavender Spray
Step 1: mix all of the ingredients in a glass, bowl, or jar.
Step 2: transfer to a clean spray bottle and set it on your night table to use before bed.
How to Use Pillow Spray
Every night before bed, simply mist your pillow with a couple spritzes of the lavender spray. Don't soak it – the pillow shouldn't be damp – use just enough that the scent is present. If you tend to flip your pillow in the night, you can spray both sides before sleep.
- Use the right water: tap water can be used, but it does contain additives that might result in early spoilage (which ruins the scent).
- Choose the right lavender: you can usually get lavender essential oil and lavandin oil. The latter has a stronger, more pungent scent that some people find less appealing, but it comes down to personal preference.
- Give it a shake: since this is essentially oil and water mixed, it's a good idea to give the spray bottle a quick shake each time before use.
If you make a Lavender Pillow Spray or any other eco-friendly DIYs on Wholehearted Eats, please take a moment to rate the recipe and leave a comment below. It’s such a help to others who want to try the recipe. For more WHE, follow along on Instagram or subscribe for new posts via email.
Lavender Pillow Spray
- 100 ml spray bottle
- 3 tablespoons distilled water
- 3 tablespoons vodka or witch hazel
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
- 20 drops chamomile essential oil
- Add all of the ingredients to a jar or cup and mix until well combined. You can also mix directly in the spray bottle.3 tablespoons distilled water, 3 tablespoons vodka or witch hazel, 20 drops lavender essential oil, 20 drops chamomile essential oil
- Transfer the mixture into a clean, dry spray bottle. To use, spritz your pillow a couple of times right before bed. It will keep for a long time at room temperature.