An easy tropically-inspired drink, this mango spinach smoothie is a great introduction to the world of green smoothies! With mango, banana, spinach, and yogurt, it's simple to make, needs just 7 ingredients, and packs a big nutritional punch.
Using frozen ingredients makes for a thicker, instantly cold smoothie. When your bananas are ripe, pop them in the freezer to use later. I use store-bought frozen mango.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Banana: the riper the banana, the sweeter the smoothie will be, but it will also give a stronger banana flavour.
- Spinach: fresh spinach is best. Sub another baby green like arugula if that's what you have on hand.
- Yogurt: I use coconut, but you can use any type of yogurt you like. For a little extra sweetness, try using vanilla yogurt.
- Orange: this is for juice, so if you only have orange juice, you can use that instead. Sub extra coconut water for orange juice.
Step by Step
Step 1: add all of the smoothie ingredients to a small blender or bullet blender.
Step 2: mix on high speed until fully combined.
- Choose ripe fruit: since you'll probably use frozen mango, that can't really be judged, but try to use a ripe banana for the best flavour.
- Keep the ginger: it adds a hint of spice and boosts the mango, making everything much more interesting. If you don't have fresh ginger, though, leave it out.
- Sweeten to taste: if you want it to be a bit sweeter, add a pitted date to the mix or use a splash of maple syrup.
How to Store
Storage: green smoothies can be refrigerated for a few hours, but since this one uses a banana, it will discolour over time. It's best served fresh.
Is it good to put spinach in fruit smoothies?
Spinach is a great addition to fruit smoothies! It adds some extra greens, with all the nutrients that entails, but has a mild taste that doesn't overwhelm the fruit. You'll barely notice that it's there, apart from the green colour.
Is it OK to blend raw spinach?
Spinach is one of the easiest greens to blend raw, and will mix easily in almost any blender. It's a great starter green for smoothies.
Is spinach less healthy when blended?
Blending spinach doesn't change the nutritional content, and it has just as much fibre and as many vitamins as the whole leaf. Blend away.
More Refreshing Drinks
If you make this Spinach Mango Smoothie or any other vegan drinks on Wholehearted Eats, please take a moment to rate the recipe and leave a comment below. It’s such a help to others who want to try the recipe. For more WHE, follow along on Instagram or subscribe for new posts via email.
Mango Spinach Smoothie
- 1 frozen banana peeled
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- ½ cup coconut water
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- Add all of the ingredients to a small blender or bullet blender, breaking up the banana into smaller pieces to mix more easily.1 frozen banana, 1 cup frozen mango, 1 cup fresh spinach, ½ cup coconut water, ½ cup orange juice, ¼ cup plain yogurt, Pinch sea salt, 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- Blend on high speed until completely smooth and serve immediately.