Simple one bowl vegan chocolate snack cake with healthier yam chocolate icing. The perfect snacking cake to have on hand for any occasion.
It's been way too hot to bake this last week, but the bounty of summer's fruit has me itching to make my favourite chocolate snack cake. While pies and galettes are often the first summer dessert that comes to mind, I just haven't been able to shake the idea of chocolate cake. Particularly, this vegan chocolate cake. Not to be hyperbolic, but this is pretty much the only chocolate cake recipe you'll ever need. It's easy to recall off by heart, takes no fancy ingredients, and comes together in under 40 minutes. Plus, it's incredibly tasty.
While there are just a few recipes that I make time and time again, this one has got be number one. In the winter we serve it warm with vanilla sauce, in the autumn it's poached pears and chocolate, in the spring with strawberries, and in the summer with whatever fruit is going.
To make this version extra jazzy I made a paleo yam ganache that's been floating around the net for the last couple of years. Surprisingly enough it's as rich and decadent as any cream-based version and would go well on anything from brownies to sandwiched between your favourite cookies.
To get the full recipe for this chocolate snack cake, head over to my friends at Baked!
- 1/2 cup cooked and mashed yam
- 1/3 cup melted dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp. melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Head over to Baked for the full recipe.
- To make the ganache combine all the ingredients in a blender or small food processor and purée until smooth. Ice the cake and decorate as desired. It’s best to place in the refrigerator for the icing to set, but it can also be enjoyed as is.