These green banana flour energy balls are prebiotic and great to maintain gut health!
Happy 2019! Hope ya'll had a relaxing and rejuvenating holiday and New Year! Things around here were pretty quiet. We had a few friends over for snacks and bubbly, followed by a round of Mario Cart and were in bed before 12. Yeah, the classic #over30 move but I wouldn't have it any other way.
While I'm not much of a resolution kind of gal, I did tell myself I wanted to spend more time here, creating, sharing, and doing what I love, and eating more prebiotic food. The last 4 months have been a whirlwind with school and I haven't had the time to post as much as I'd like to.
But this year is a new start and a new beginning. And best of all, I realize my desire to post is coming from a place of longing and not out of guilt which is MAJOR. So big yay!
Fresh starts, clean sweeps, and detoxes are everywhere this time of year. While I'm not about restrictive diets, I do like to find my way back to my pre-holiday overindulgence.
I'm sure the internet is ablaze with detox soups and juices this week. But instead of opting for that route I'm easing into this with something a little more sweet and chocolatey.
These little energy balls quickly became my favourite little treat to pack in my school lunch. They carry well, are a sweet little hit of energy, and are full of good gut health fibre!
- nut butter
- green banana flour
- honey or vegan alternative
- hemp hearts
- coconut oil
- sea salt
Combine the nut butter, honey, and coconut oil in a medium bowl. Stir until smooth.
Mix in the banana flour, hemp hearts, cacao, cinnamon, and salt.
Measure out around 16 1-tablespoon balls of the mixture. Roll each in your hands until smooth. At this point, you can leave them as is or toss in extra hemp hearts.
Store in the fridge for up to a month.
Tips + Notes
I've mentioned resistant starch in green banana flour before (with a recipe for the yummiest muesli), but it warrants another mention. Resistant starch is prebiotic and strengthens and feeds your good gut flora.
These starches are not broken down by the small intestine but make their way through the body all the way to the large intestine. There they are fermented into short-chain fatty acids that feed the good intestinal bacteria and increase the cell mass.
Most foods we consume feed around 10% of our gut bacteria, where resistant starch feeds the other 90%. And we all know good gut health is key!
- if you don't eat honey, use a vegan alternative
- hemp can be replaced with shredded coconut
- try using any nut or seed butter in this recipe. You can even make your own like I did
- try adding some spices like cinnamon, cardamom, or nutmeg
Other no-bake treats
- Adaptogen Fudge
- Hippie Bars (Healthy Rice Crispy Treats)
- Chocolate Hazelnut Balls
- Double Chocolate Macaroons
- ½ Cup nut butter, I used almond
- ½ Cup green banana flour
- ⅓ Cup honey or vegan alternative
- ¼ Cup hemp hearts
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch sea salt
- Extra hemp hearts for rolling, optional
- Combine the nut butter, honey, and coconut oil in a medium bowl. Stir until smooth.
- Mix in the banana flour, hemp hearts, cacao, cinnamon, and salt.
- Measure out around 16 1-tablespoon balls of the mixture. Roll each in your hands until smooth. At this point, you can leave them as is or toss in extra hemp hearts.
- Store in the fridge for up to a month.