This simple homemade toothpaste is made with just 3 ingredients you'll already have on hand. It's totally affordable, and best of all works like a dream!
I was encouraged to make this after my mum, who's been making her own toothpaste for the last little while now, went in for a check-up and was informed by the hygienist that she has surprisingly little plaque and that compared to last time, her teeth looked whiter!
And guess what her secret is? Yup, homemade toothpaste using four pantry ingredients.
- Baking soda
- Coconut oil
- Olive of oregano
- Food grade peppermint oil (optional)
While some people may be worried that baking soda is too abrasive for teeth, it's actually an alkaline which, it turns out, is less abrasive to enamel and dentine than commercially available toothpaste!
It cleans teeth in two different ways. Firstly, by helping dislodge the plaque build-up which contributes to dental decay and cavities and secondly, by removing those yellowy stains (in my case from coffee and tea). So all in all, it's both an excellent cleaner and a natural tooth whitener!
Recently, pulling has become a super trendy habit - and there is a good reason behind it! Oil pulling has been used holistically for thousands of years to improve oral and systemic health.
Traditionally it consists of swishing about 1 Tbsp. of sesame oil in your mouth for about 20 minutes, much like mouthwash. While this recipe doesn't call for that much oil or amount of time, it still provides some of the numerous benefits associated with pulling.
By swishing the oil around in your mouth, bacteria are said to get caught in the oil and removed. This prevents such mouth problems as bad breath and gingivitis.
Oil of Oregano
While you may only use this when feeling under the weather, oil of oregano is a great addition to your toothpaste and as a preventative against illness. An antiseptic and great ridder of bacteria, oil of oregano is great at getting into those crevasses and deep in your gums which are so often a haven for bacteria.
Peppermint oil is a wonderful breath freshener and is great at masking the flavour of the oil of oregano! But you can totally make it without 🙂
I promise you, your teeth will have never felt cleaner (or more like a slip and slide)!
Step 1: Begin by leaving the coconut oil in a warm spot to soften. Mix the soft coconut oil with the baking soda until it makes a smooth paste.
Step 2: Add the drops of oil of oregano and peppermint and stir to combine.
Step 3: Divide up the paste into small jars. Keep in a warm spot or use a small spoon to scoop onto your toothbrush.
- Add mint: if you don't like the taste of oregano, add food grade peppermint oil or peppermint extract to combat the flavour.
- Add whiteners: try added some activated charcoal or turmeric to your homemade toothpaste to help whiten your teeth.
More Homemade Beauty
If you make this Homemade Toothpaste or any other low-waste body products on Wholehearted Eats, please take a moment to rate the recipe and leave a comment below. It’s such a help to others who want to try the recipe. For more WHE, follow along on Instagram or subscribe for new posts via email.
Simple Homemade Toothpaste
- 6 tablespoons organic coconut oil soften but not melted
- 4 tablespoons baking soda
- 20 Drops of oil of oregano
- 20 Drops of food grade peppermint oil optional
- Begin by leaving the coconut oil in a warm spot to soften. Mix it with the baking soda until smooth.6 tablespoons organic coconut oil, 4 tablespoons baking soda
- Add the oils and stir to combine.20 Drops of oil of oregano, 20 Drops of food grade peppermint oil
- Divide up the paste into small jars. Keep in a warm spot or use a small spoon to scoop onto your toothbrush.