Having a dish that can be popped into the oven with little effort is the perfect thing for lazy, social, Saturdays. And this dish is just the thing. Firstly, it involves making a big batch of Six Grain Breakfast Cereal which I use throughout the week as the base for my make-ahead work breakfast of overnight oats. However, if you have more time, you can simply cook it as you would porridge. Come the weekend, I toss the cereals together with some of our favourite ingredients and make the tastiest baked Date Bar Oatmeal. Having a batch of grainy cereal on hand is a real life saver, making more time for those important moments.
Date Bar Oatmeal
Recipe: (Serves 6) Print it Here
2 Cups Six Grain Cereal (see above)
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Ginger
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
A Pinch of Sea Salt
2 1/2 Cups Plant Based Milk (I used Almond)
2 Cups Chopped Dates
Juice of 1-2 Oranges (enough to get 3/4 Cup)
Zest of 1 Ornage
1/4 Cup Boiling Water
1 Cup 6 Grain Cereal
1/4 Cup Toasted Hazelnuts, chopped
3 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
1 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
A Pinch of Salt
A Pinch of Cinnamon
1. The night before, or earlier that morning, mix the chopped dates, orange juice, zest, and water. Let sit overnight or at least for a few hours. Then puree the mixture in a high speed blender until smooth.
2. Line an approximately 20 cm square dish (8 inch) with a little coconut oil. In a bowl mix the dry ingredients of the base together. Add the milk, stir until combined, and pour the mixture into the dish. Let sit for about 5 minutes for the mixture to set a little (and the chia to thicken).
3. Dollop the date filling over the base, trying to cover it completely.
4. Make the topping by mixing the cereal, salt, and cinnamon together. Work in the oil and maple syrup. Toss in the hazelnuts then sprinkle over the date filling.
5. Bake in a 180 C (350 F) oven for 30-35 minutes.
Simple Overnight Oats
Recipe: (Serves 1)
1/2 Cup Six Grain Cereal
3/4 Cup of Plant Milk (I used almond)
1/2 tsp. Honey or sweetener of choice (optional)
A pinch of cinnamon
Berries or fresh fruit to garnish
A spoon of almond butter (optional)
1. The night before, mix the cereal, milk, sweetener, and cinnamon until combined. Store in a jar in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning top with fruit and nut butter.