This tofu salad sandwich is a great vegan alternative to egg salad and tuna salad. Eat on bread, in a wrap, or on a salad for a grain-free option.
Each spring when I was a child, my grandmother and I would bake lemon-scented cupcakes, and scones, and make crustless ribbon tea sandwiches on alternatively stacked white and brown bread ( I'd eat the sandwiches, she'd steal the crust). It became a tradition and a rite of the coming of spring (inadvertent Stravinsky nod). Ever since then I've loved egg salad sandwiches for their comfort and nostalgia, and for the reminder that winter isn't the end we fear it will become. While there is pretty much nothing about egg sandwiches that is vegan-friendly, I found that in my college days I could easily replicate the same flavour and texture with nothing more than common tofu. While we don't consume a ton of tofu, I must admit it is a welcome treat in our house and so useful for dishes like this.
It's true that typical salad sandwiches often verge on the heavy or stodgy side of the sandwich profile, but it doesn't have to be this way. Adding loads of fresh veggies and a hint of curry powder can liven up what's often bland and boring. The creaminess of the tofu, along with the crunchiness of fresh crisp spring veggies make for a vegan version of a 50's classic that will fool anyone's grandmother.
Springy Tofu Salad Sandwich
- Measuring spoons
- 175 grams Medium Organic Tofu about 6 oz
- 1 Stalk Celery Diced (about ¼ cup)
- 1 Green Onion Sliced
- ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
- ⅛ teaspoon Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Curry Powder
- A Big Pinch Turmeric
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Mayo or Cashew Mayo
- 4 Slices Wholegrain Bread
- ¼ Cucumber Sliced
- 1 Radish Sliced
- Handful Lettuce
- Mixed Sprouts like Radish and Sunflower
- Drain the tofu and pat in gently with a towel to remove any excess moisture. Using a fork, mash the tofu into medium chunks.
- Add the celery, onion, salt, pepper, and other spices along with the mayo and mix until combined. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Prep your bread with some mustard, along with whatever fresh spring veggies are available, then evenly divide the Tofu Salad. Sprinkle with sea salt and enjoy.
Kelly Stacey says
This was phenomenal! I made a rather large batch, and added a bit of dillweed. So, so, so good on Dave’s Killer Bread, Good Seed.
love the dill addition! So happy you loved it 💕
this looks so delicious and your images are stunning.
Thank you so much, Kara!!I'm happy spring is back. It always makes for an inspiring season to take pictures <3