An easy 3 ingredient vegan hot chocolate mix, with just cocoa powder, sugar, and a hint of salt for a perfectly chocolatey instant drink. Make it at home and add some extra flavours in, or pop some into a cute jar to give as a gift.
All you need are three pantry staples: cocoa, sugar, and a tiny pinch of salt. See below for some excellent add-ins.
Ingredient Note and Substitutions
- Cocoa: or raw cacao. Natural cocoa will give a more typical hot chocolate flavour and Dutch process a slightly more bitter, complex one.
- Sugar: this can be cane or white sugar. Coconut sugar can be used, but it won't dissolve as quickly in hot milk.
- Add-ins: try adding ½ teaspoon vanilla powder, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, up to ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, maca, chaga, or medicinal herbs.
How to Make Hot Chocolate Mix
Step 1: add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl.
Step 2: stir to mix until combined, then transfer to a jar. That's it!
- Choose a good milk: oat and soy milk make the creamiest cocoas. Choose unsweetened versions to avoid too-sweet hot chocolate.
- Get baking cocoa: be sure to use cocoa, not drink mix. It will be in the baking section, or use raw cacao.
- Top it off: the base hot chocolate is great as is, but extra good topped with vegan whipped cream, cinnamon, marshmallows, or candy canes.
How To Store
Keep in a sealed container in a cool, dry place for up to a month. This can be kept in the fridge for longer storage to prevent the cocoa from going rancid.
Is hot chocolate mix vegan?
Typically not. Most hot chocolate mix includes ingredients like powdered milk and whey, but it's easy to make at home (and less expensive).
What vegan milk is best for hot chocolate?
Soy and oat will make for the most creamy and rich vegan hot chocolate. You can use nut milks, like hazelnut, for a subtle nutty flavour and less creamy drink.
What is the difference between hot cocoa mix and hot chocolate mix?
This is technically a vegan hot cocoa mix, because it doesn't contain cocoa butter. Hot chocolate is melted chocolate usually mixed with milk or cream, and hot cocoa is made from powdered cocoa and sugar.
Is hot chocolate mix better with milk or water?
So much better with milk! For the best taste and texture, definitely use milk. The cocoa will be much creamier and more pleasant to drink.
More Vegan Drinks
If you make this Vegan Hot Chocolate Mix or any other cozy vegan drinks on Wholehearted Eats, please take a moment to rate the recipe and leave a comment below. It’s such a help to others who want to try the recipe. For more WHE, follow along on Instagram or subscribe for new posts via email.
Vegan Hot Chocolate Mix
- 1 Mixing bowl
- 1 mason jar
- 1 cup cocoa powder or raw cacao
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Add the cocoa, sugar, and salt to a mixing bowl. Add any extras you'd like to include, then stir with a wooden spoon or whisk to combine.1 cup cocoa powder, ½ cup sugar, ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Transfer the mix to a mason jar and store in a cool, dry place for up to a month. To make the hot chocolate, stir 3 tablespoons of the mix into a cup of hot milk. This makes enough for about 8 cups of hot cocoa.