Cookies, Bars, + Treats/ Raw Dishes/ Vegan

The Basic Raw Brownie and Endless Options…

From everything that I’ve heard, the second year of nursing school is the hardest year, and from everything that my sister Hannah tells me, it seems this might be true. Endless papers, journal entries, working at the hospital, and long days memorizing the most complex words. After hours of studying there is nothing more that Hannah wants than some cuddles with her cat, Elise, and a cup of tea (Valerian is her new favourite). And like the good sister that I am, I like to have something for her to look forward to eating on her study breaks. Since the last bar I made with Hannah in mind (the Caramel Chocolate Bar) was such a hit, I decided to make something along the same lines – chocolatey, raw, healthy, yet totally delicious- and according to Hannah, I have succeeded with this new batch.  Introducing the Raw Chocolate Brownie and happy studying!

While I left these brownies plain, they can easily be jazzed up. The addition of dried fruit, flavouring, or nuts would make them even more spectacular.Possible add-ins include:

1/2 Cup Almonds, walnuts, or chopped nuts of choice.
1/2 Cup Dried fruit such as goji, dried blueberries, cherries, or cranberries
1/4 Cup hemp hearts or dried coconut
Lemon or Orange Zest
A pinch or two of chili powder or cinnamon
1 tsp of Peppermint extract or any other extract of choice
Sea salt to garnish

Basic Raw Brownie

Recipe: (Serves 8-12) Print it Here

Base:
1 Cup almonds
1 1/2 Cups pitted dates
1/4 Cup raw cocoa
1 Tbsp Coconut oil
1 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp Sea salt

Procedure:

Puree all ingredients in a food processor until the mixture comes together. You may need to add 1 tsp of water or so to make the mixture come together better. If adding extract, add and pulse to combine. If adding nuts, etc, mix in by hand. Press the base into a lined loaf pan (9 by 5), using the back of a spoon to make it nice and smooth.

Ice with the icing listed below ( my new favourite icing, I used it on this cake) and set in the refrigerator to chill. Once set slice into either 8 or 12 servings. Store in the refrigerator.

Icing:

1 Cup dates, soaked for 30 min
1/4 Cup raw cocoa powder
1 Tbsp coconut oil
4- 6 Tbsp reserved soaking water from dates
1 tsp Vanilla
Pinch of Sea salt

Procedure:

Soak dates in hot water for 30 minutes. After they have become soft, drain the dates but keep the soaking water. Combine the dates, cocoa powder, coconut oil, salt, and 4 Tbsp of the soaking liquid in a blender. Puree until the mixture is silky smooth, this may take some time. Add more soaking liquid as needed to achieved a spreadable filling. I used about 6 Tbsp but you may need more of less. I wouldn’t recommend using more than 8 Tbsp as that might make the icing too runny.

Rose
    November 14, 2013 at 9:18 am

Everything I love! Great blog, I'm now following you 🙂

Rose
    November 14, 2013 at 9:18 am

Everything I love! Great blog, I'm now following you 🙂

Anonymous
    November 14, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Sophie, what a beautiful brownie and recipe; thank you!! In the base you have 1 Tablespoon coconut oil listed twice. Could you tell me why? Karen

Anonymous
    November 14, 2013 at 4:20 pm

November 15, 2013 at 12:02 am

Thank you so much, Karen. And thanks for noticing the coconut oil – that's a mistake, it's only supposed to be 1 Tbsp of oil. I updated the post, so the the recipe is now complete. -Sophie <3

November 15, 2013 at 12:02 am

November 15, 2013 at 12:03 am

Thank you, Rose!

November 15, 2013 at 12:03 am

Thank you, Rose!

KristinHoltPhotography
    November 15, 2013 at 7:01 am

Looks amazing! Beautiful images.
    Thank you for all that you do!
    Pinned!
    K-

KristinHoltPhotography
    November 15, 2013 at 7:01 am

Looks amazing! Beautiful images.
    Thank you for all that you do!
    Pinned!
    K-

Developing My Raw Kitchen
    November 15, 2013 at 8:37 am

Looks amazing. I will be making these tomorrow. Thank you.

Developing My Raw Kitchen
    November 15, 2013 at 8:37 am

Looks amazing. I will be making these tomorrow. Thank you.

thejollybeetroot
    November 15, 2013 at 11:04 am

Cant wait to try these out on my brownie-loving boyfriend! He loves everything sweet and chocolatey but has become a bit skeptical since he found out I put avocado in his favourite chocolate mousse 😛 Beautiful pictures as well by the way x

thejollybeetroot
    November 15, 2013 at 11:04 am

November 15, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Thank you so much, Kristin!

November 15, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Thank you so much, Kristin!

November 15, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Yay!!

November 15, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Yay!!

November 15, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Thank-you so much! My boyfriend also doesn't like it when I sneak avocado in his chocolate pudding 🙂

November 15, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Katie G
    January 7, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Hi Sophie,
    I made these last night and they where incredible – I made half the mix as it's only myself that eat's raw (I'm not sad about this) and I was in heaven! I'd had the recipe pinned for a while and this was the third recipe I'd tried for raw brownies and by far my favorite. The experience was similar to eating a 600-700 calorie loaded with fat, butter and cream chocolate torte but without ANY of the terrible side effects.
    Many thanks for posting and I can't wait to try other recipes from your lovely blog!

Katie G
    January 7, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Hi Sophie,

January 8, 2014 at 12:04 am

Hello Katie,
    I am thrilled you liked the recipe! And I am secretly very pleased it was your favourite raw brownie recipe (yay !!!) I know, who would of thought that dates and nuts could make a super dense fudgy brownie? Well, I'm just so glad they do! Thanks for the lovely feedback, it was a delight to hear from you. All the best, Sophie

January 8, 2014 at 12:04 am

Hello Katie,

Anonymous
    August 19, 2014 at 3:43 am

These are so delicious. I can't help thinking with every bite, that the 'icing' would be delicious on its own as a chocolate mousse….it is so fluffy and perfect!

August 24, 2014 at 1:16 pm

That would be good as mousse! So happy you're enjoying them 🙂

Anonymous
    August 24, 2015 at 1:53 pm

So delicious and yet so easy to make. They looked just like the picture. Thanks Sophie.

August 24, 2015 at 4:20 pm