Breakfast + Brunch/ Gluten Free/ Vegan

Banana Buckwheat Muffin
The farther away I’ve travel from the west coast, the worse and worse the muffins begin to taste. And this has consistently really bummed me out. There, I said it. Phewf, that was oddly releasing. I always think optimistically about new cities and coffee shops, I’ve even been known to google search ‘best muffins in so and so town’, but these tactics are never to any avail. I’ll walk in, press my little face to the glass, taking one look in the case of fluffy white cakes, and shutter away in disappointment. I clearly remember the one time this summer in New York, when I was unorganized and therefore found myself out of the house and famished. I headed into a coffee shop before work and saw a blueberry muffin which appeared really promising. I took it to go and headed to my internship where I eagerly dug into the top (like the true Elaine I am), only to discover the weird taste of artificial cake, and the icky feeling of pasty white flour and sensation of greasy fingertips. A sudden wave of disappointment hit me, and I’m pretty sure the rest of it laid untouched all day.

I don’t know why, but the hippy dippy lifestyle of the Pacific coast offerers the prime conditions for nourishing and fulfilling muffins that’s second to none. Unlike said oversized, gummy-centred, mini cakes often found in cafes and bakeries most other places, west coast muffins are heartier, less sweet, and often full of wholegrain goodness. And that’s just the way I like them! While I know that ‘hockey puck’ bran muffins aren’t for everyone, there is certainly something to be said for having a breakfast/ tea time snack that doesn’t leave you feeling empty, or worse yet, just gross, after eating.

Banana Buckwheat Muffin

By replacing the white flour with wholegrain, adding fibre with fruit, and reducing oils and sugars, I’ve come to a happy medium where west coast hippie muffins and east coast cakes can mingle and become one. Tossing in some dark chocolate chips helps to bring these muffins from the realm of healthy hippy to that of cakey indulgence without sacrificing flavour, texture, or healthfulness. Aaaaand just putting this out there, my guy who is very particular to what he calls tasty, called these yummy more than once (we actually made three batches they were so good)!

Banana Buckwheat Muffin

If you are wanting to make these with gluten, they work just as well if you replace the flours called for with spelt, which is what I did here. And this recipe halves perfectly too.

Buckwheat Banana Muffins

Gluten Free Flour Mix from Green Kitchen

Makes 10 Print it Here)

1 Cup Almond Flour (or 3/4 Cup Almonds)
1 Cup Rolled Oats
2/3 Cup Buckwheat Flour
2 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder
1/3 Cup Coconut Sugar
3/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
1 1/2 Cups Mashed Banana
1/3 Cup Avocado or Coconut Oil
1 tsp Lemon Juice or Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 Cup Plant Milk
1 tsp Vanilla
3/4 – 1 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips (depending on taste)

1. Begin by adding rolled oats to a blender and pureeing them until they turn into a coarse flour, then set aside. If using whole almonds, process them in the same way until they too are flour. If you are using almond flour instead, then just skip this step.

2. Add the ground oats, 1 cup of almond flour, the buckwheat, arrowroot, sugar, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices in a bowl. Stir to combine.

3. In a separate bowl combine the banana, oil, lemon juice, milk and vanilla, stirring well. Combine the wet ingredients to the dry and mix just until combined. Lastly, stir in the chocolate.

4. Divide batter amongst 10 lined muffin cups and sprinkle the tops with a little bit of almond flour if desired. Bake in a 190 C (375 F) for about 25 minutes or until the tops spring back when lightly touched.

Mandy
    August 16, 2016 at 12:12 am

These look amazing
    Just discovered your blog
    Have lots of recipes to catch up on!

September 6, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Oh, how lovely to hear, Mandy! I’m so pleased you like the site, welcome!! xox

Priya
    November 8, 2016 at 2:59 am

Hi Sophie, this recioe looks fab. Could I use oat flour or buckwheat flour instead if almond. What other sugar/sweetener coukd I use? (Maple syrup, honey, muscovado sugar etc?) Priya x

November 10, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Hello Priya!!
      More oat flour would be a great sub. Muscovado sugar or any other less refined sugar would also be wonderful. As for maple syrup, just make sure you reduce the milk by a couple Tbsp. I hope you enjoy <3

Jess Gulbranson
    January 12, 2017 at 4:04 pm

These are so, so good! I love how they fill me up and how much sweetness all those bananas give! Thank you for sharing!!

January 13, 2017 at 9:56 pm

I’m so happy you like the recipe, Jess! xox

Alex
    March 14, 2017 at 2:34 pm

These muffins look so wonderful and filling, perfect for a guilt-free snack or small meal. I bet these would be great slathered with mashed avocado on top!

March 14, 2017 at 5:27 pm

Thanks, Alex! They do make a great little snack or breakfast. I’ll have to try the mashed avo idea! I never even thought of that 🙂

Sara
    March 16, 2017 at 6:59 pm

First of all, LOVE your reference to Elaine – those tops are always the best! 🙂 But seriously, these muffins look sooo dreamy! I have yet to try buckwheat but have been wanting to for awhile. These look like a great place to start!

March 28, 2017 at 6:10 am

I’m so happy to hear you’re an Elaine too! Elaines unite 😉 ! As far as gluten free flour goes, buckwheat is in my top three, for sure. It’s especially lovely when it’s mixed with another flour to help add some lightness. I hope you give these a try. They are totally one of our homes favourites.

Dina
    March 28, 2017 at 4:01 am

I had been in search of a wheat free muffin for ages. This is hands down the best yet! In terms of texture, flavour, healthyness etc. Will make this many more times!

March 28, 2017 at 6:11 am

Thank you so much, Dina! I’m thrilled to hear that these are just what you wanted <3

Isis
    May 9, 2017 at 1:26 pm

Hi, what is the purpose of arrow root powder? I’m not sure I can get my hands on it and am wondering how I might be able to substitute it.

May 10, 2017 at 1:00 am

Hello Isis! The arrow root powder helps to bind the gluten free mix. You could easily use a Tbsp. of corn starch with similar results. In all honesty, you could probably get away with not using it at all, and maybe add a touch more flour, but I have not tested it. Best of luck, Sophie <3

Shay
    August 15, 2017 at 6:58 pm

Hi Sophie,
    I tried the buckwheat flour for the bread recipe and you are right it’s really dense and heavy. It looks like a flat chocolate brownie. Lol! I wish it was right now! I will use groats as you recommended for bread. I will now gives this muffin recipe a go. Looks so delicious!! Do you need baking powder if you just have baking soda? Thanks xx

August 17, 2017 at 4:55 pm

Oh, no! So sorry to hear of the baking disaster. That happens to the best of us, trust me. I like to add a little bit of both raising agents in the recipe since banana’s tend to make things heavy and dense, so this gives it some nice volume.