Drinks + Smoothies/ Uncategorized

WEEKEND CHILLS + HALVA HOT COCOA

HALVA HOT COCOA

I’m not typically one to jump on the bandwagon early. Maybe it’s in part my natural scepticism to anything trendy or new, or my inner luddite weariness, but I’ve always been a late bloomer. There is no exception when it comes to holidays, either. Growing up there would be no talk of a tree or nog until school was out, come December 18th. Then it would be a mad week of shopping, eating, and decorating until the big day. This was, in part, a desire to keep things special, exciting, and full of anticipation. Yet here we are, the end of November, and I’m starting to cave! Oranges are drying out in the oven as week speak, I’ve laid a few boughs of holly that I pillaged from the neighbours on the window ledge, and low and behold, there are twinkle lights!

Ultimately, one of the best parts of this time of year are the cozy drinks. As of late, dandelion lattes, medicine mushroom mochas, and milky chai teas have been in heavy rotation in our house. Inspired by Renee, I’ve even gone so far as to add tahini to bevies, and found wonderful results. Just like the oats from last week, adding a touch of nut butter elevates a drink like cocoa from ordinary, to a thick and creamy drinking chocolate (someone pass the churros!).

The results are a drink so decadent that what I thought would be a cup for one could easily be a cup for two. Aside from adding a creamy thickness, the tahini brings a nutty flavour. When mixed with cocoa, this makes for a cup eerily similar to chocolate halva. I added some medicinal mushroom powder and maca, becuase you know -I’m a hippy- but this would be equally as great without.

Stay warm, stay dry, and happy merrymaking!

• If you’re in the need for a new podcast, a friend of mine has a really wonderful one exploring folk culture. I highly recommend this episode on Finland! Super good tunes.
  • Some fun questions to ask your tarot deck (or better yet, your Oblique Strategy deck)
  • My friends at Picot are giving everyone 20% off with the code WHOLEHEARTED20. This is a one time use, but it doesn’t expire. A perfect way to make use of the low Canadian dollar.
  • Currently, I’m saving my pennies to go to this adorable Japanese vegan cafe/ pretty store. It’s everything I want in a shop, and besides the fact that I can’t read their IG posts, I adore them.
  • This January I’ll be co-hosting an IG workshop with Moonrise Creative, Kristine Lee, and Leslie Shewring. If you’re in Victoria, c’mon by and say ‘hi’ and watch me nervously public speak.
  • This week I’ve been binge watching Malin’s YouTube channel, picking a million kiwis (suggestions on uses welcome), and will be watching my first live tattoo (on a friend, not me) and hoping I don’t faint in the process.
  • As for eats, I can’t wait to to try these Raw Eggnog Balls; this Winter Farro Bowl; these Beetroot Burgers, and this Lentil Soup. Hello cozy vibes!
  • Last week we went and saw Seu Jorge perform the Bowie songs from the Life Aquatic, and now all I want to do is wear a red toque and pretend it’s 2012.

HALVA HOT COCOA

Serves 1-2. Print it Here

1 Cup Nut Milk
1/2 Cup Water
1 Tbsp. Coconut Sugar (or 2 tsp. Maple Syrup)
2 Tbsp. Cocoa or Cacao
Pinch of Sea Salt
Splash of Vanilla
2 tsp. Tahini
1 tsp. Maca
1/2 tsp. Mushroom Powder (I used this mix, but any medicinal mushroom powder would be great)

1. Heat everything together in a small pot. Taste and add more milk or sweetener if needed.

November 27, 2016 at 3:15 pm

I love putting tahini in my hot chocolate, isn’t it just amazing?! My twinkle lights just died and exams are coming up, but I am hoping to holiday things up around here when it all settles down 🙂 I LOVE that orange garland, too cute! <3

November 30, 2016 at 2:36 am

It’s so yummy! You need to get those twinkle lights up and running. I always found that the house was extra clean and decorated come exam time, but I’m not a great example 😉 Best of luck with the end of year! You’re going to rock it, Maya <3

Karlie
    November 27, 2016 at 4:29 pm

I just tried the hot cocoa! So delicious thanks Sophie!

November 30, 2016 at 2:34 am

Yay, that makes me so happy to hear, Karlie!

Jodi
    November 28, 2016 at 3:43 pm

I haven’t done any decorating yet but we finally got some snow on the ground here and it feels much more jolly. I’m always up for anything tahini and this hot chocolate sounds like just the thing. Hope you had a wonderful weekend , Sophie! Thanks for the podcast suggestion 🙂 x

November 30, 2016 at 2:27 am

Snow, oh wow! I’m super jealous, Jodi. I think it snowed once last year (says my partner) but melted before I got up, lol. I hope you stay warm and cozy and enjoy some hot chocolate and podcast time <3 xox

Meg | Meg is Well
    November 28, 2016 at 4:41 pm

I’ve been experimenting with tahini lately ever since I tried it with chocolate chips and in a glaze. I’m loving everything so far and now I can’t wait to try it in this! I love your photography by the way!

November 30, 2016 at 2:23 am

Thank you so much, Meg!<3 I love the idea of making a glaze with it! So clever. I worked at a bakery years ago and they make a cashew butter icing for carrot cake, but I think tahini would be amazing! I hope you enjoy the recipe.

Leah M | love me, feed me
    November 28, 2016 at 4:44 pm

Thiiiis is everything I could ever want in a cozy drink <3 Aaaah that workshop sounds amazing! Fingers crossed I can make it!!

November 30, 2016 at 2:01 am

Leah!!!!! Thanks, buddy! I would love to see you at the workshop, or even earlier. I’ll be in town all December. Snacks???

Keith @ How's it Lookin?
    November 28, 2016 at 5:30 pm

I gotta try this. Perfect for this upcoming winter, thanks for the idea

November 30, 2016 at 2:00 am

You’re welcome, Keith! I hope you enjoy it and stay warm

Laurel
    November 29, 2016 at 1:47 am

Tahini and chocolate are two of my favorite things in the world! I can’t wait to try this hot chocolate. I already know I am going to be addicted. Send help.

November 30, 2016 at 1:57 am

Lol! help is on its way! 🙂 I’m so pleased you like the recipe. It might be a little addictive, no lies.

Ashlae
    December 1, 2016 at 10:47 pm

I’ve been drinking golden milk every night before bed (ok, only for the past week but STILL) and I think I’m going to make this tonight to shake things up. I found a massive bag of lucuma in my pantry the other day so I’mma throw in a teaspoon of that, too. <3 Hope you're well, lady!

Malin
    December 5, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Sophie! This looks so good, can’t wait to try it 🙂
    Also thank you for mentioning me, so glad you’re enjoying my videos.

Wishing you a great week! x

Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today
    December 5, 2016 at 10:20 pm

Wow, tahini addition sounds super interesting, need to try it!

January 13, 2017 at 10:59 pm

thanks, Marta! I hope you enjoyed it xox

Sophie | The Green Life
    December 7, 2016 at 6:01 pm

Oh my, I love the sound of tahini in a hot chocolate!! And with maca + medicinal mushrooms too…it can only be good! Can’t wait to try this. And thanks for the recipe love, Sophie! Hope you’re having a lovely week. xo

Marta e Mimma
    December 18, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Love everything tahini. If it’s chocolate it’s even better. Also, I’ve got a good riesci powder so I think I’m going to go straight with this. Oh, and tons of love for Seu Jorge.

January 13, 2017 at 10:30 pm

Yay! So happy you’re going to try this. And Seu Jorge was aaamazing! xox

Danica
    January 15, 2017 at 6:44 pm

Hey! Thanks for the shout out! I just noticed this. You’re a pal. 😉

January 18, 2017 at 6:12 pm

We love your show! Hannah and I always listen to it together. <3

Danica
        January 21, 2017 at 6:29 pm

Awwwww you GUYS. Love you very much.