Gluten Free/ Loaves + Crackers/ Vegan

The Unbelievable Buckwheat Bread

Gluten Free Buckwheat Bread

Its always a challenge to guess what recipes will and won’t take off. More often than not, the ones which I find most appealing, or have the images which I am most proud of, are only ever viewed by my mum and boyfriend (and my sisters who point out the spelling mistakes\_(ツ)_/¯ ) . I’m okay with this. At times it’s challenging, yes, but that’s the nature of the game. Then there are the recipes that take off, which can be challenging in their own right. One of my most popular posts to date was for the Unbelievable Bread, which as the name suggests, is pretty damn amazing. This recipe was posted long before I fully got the hang of blogging.I was using a Canon Rebel with the kit lens, shooting in direct sunlight, and editing my photos with pic monkey (not ideal). I was also at stage where if the recipe worked for me, I’d assume it’d work for everyone (makes sense, right?).

While most people who made the Unbelievable bread sent the most amazing feedback, I always felt knots in my stomach every time someone was left disappointed by the recipe (I still recall the person who compared it to Deflategate). So many times I have gone out of my way to buy special ingredients for something praised on the internet as Life Altering, only to be composting it an hour after making it – so the less that happens the better. With a few tweaks of the original recipe, I think I’ve come up with a more fail proof version of the Unbelievable Bread, introducing the Unbelievable Buckwheat Bread.

While reinventing older recipes isn’t something I wanted to do much of in this space, I think this recipe deserves it. Why, you might ask? Simply because the original is truly wonderful. It’s totally flourless, yeast free, and made entirely out of whole grains. Unlike most commercial gluten free breads, it’s vegan and relies on fibre instead of weird and questionable thickeners to bind it all together. Originally made from Quinoa and Millet, this new version utilizes my new favourite grain (although it’s not even a grain, it’s a seed- YES!) buckwheat.

Much more cost effective than quinoa, the buckwheat also offers a nuttiness reminiscent of a rye bread which provides the comfort and heartiness one seeks when craving bread. Removing some of the psyllium from the original recipe and adding a little chia seeds helps deal with the issues of overinflation and collapse which some people had, and the axing of the baking soda means this loaf can be free of apple cider vinegar, and I got rid of the maple syrup too for good measure. This brings the ingredients down to 7 from 9. Now did you think you could ever make a gluten free bread with only seven ingredients (one being plain ol’ water)?

Buckwheat Bread Buckwheat Bread-11 Buckwheat Bread-5 Just like the original loaf, this one tastes best toasted. Although it does take a little extra time under the broiler to brown, it crisps up and takes on colour just like a bonafide piece of bread. With the extra protein from the whole grains, this is best kept in the refrigerator (something I’d never say about flour based bread) as it can easily spoil if left out. This loaf should keep in the fridge wrapper well for a week, or sliced and frozen for longer.

To help spruce up my loaf, I sprinkled the top with a handful of poppy and sesame seeds, so feel free to play around. Adding whole spices such as caraway could easily make it into a savoury rye style loaf, or some dried herbs would add a special touch if you were planning on it to accompany a soup.

(Also guys, I’m no longer the only person on blogger and finally got a WordPress! Inside I’m doing this!!!)

Buckwheat Bread-7 Buckwheat Bread-12 Buckwheat Bread-3

The Unbelievable Buckwheat Bread

Based on the Unbelievable Bread Recipe which was based on this and this

Print the Recipe Here
Recipe: (Makes 1 loaf)

1 3/4 Cup of Buckwheat Groats
2 Tbsp. Psyllium Husk
2 Tbsp. Chia Seeds
1 Cup Water
3 Tbsp Oil (I used Olive, but coconut would work)
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt

Seeds such as Sesame, Pumpkin, Flax, or Sunflower for garnish (optional)

1. Soak the buckwheat in enough water to cover, for at least two hours but not over 8. You just want them to be soft enough to crush with your fingertips. Once they have soaked, rinse well. The buckwheat will be kind of slimy (it’s gross, yes) so rinse really well and let drain.

2. Meanwhile, combine the psyllium and chia with the water, stirring to combine. Let sit for about 10 minutes until thick.

3. In a food processor or high speed blender, add the soaked buckwheat, psyllium gel, oil, salt, and baking powder. Puree until the mixture is sticky and most of the grains have been pureed to a mush. If you are using a blender, you may need to remove it form the base and stir it a couple of times.

4. Scoop the mixture into a parchment lined loaf pan. Flattening the top with the back of the spoon to make sure it’s evenly spread out. Top with seeds if desired. Bake at 160 C (320) for 90 minutes.

5. Let the loaf sit for a few minutes before removing from pan.Let cool on a wire rack. Wait until the loaf is entirely cool before slicing. Loaf can be wrapped and stored in the refrigerator for up to a week, or sliced and frozen.

Share your creations on IG with the tag #unbeliveablebread and #Wholeheartedeats

Buckwheat Bread-9 xox Sophie

Tuulia Talvio
    June 16, 2016 at 9:41 am

So pretty Sophie! And I love how simple the recipe is. I’ll try this asap! xo

Sophie | Wholehearted Eats
      June 16, 2016 at 10:43 pm

This makes me so happy, Tuulia! I really hope you enjoy the bread, I’d love to see what magical creation you make with it.

Chantelle
        March 21, 2017 at 4:06 pm

Hi i was wonerding if I could replace psyhillium husk for more chia seeds? .. This bread looks amazing. I want to make this now 🙂

March 21, 2017 at 6:18 pm

Hey Chantelle! I haven’t used all chia in this recipe, but I did try it in the millet/quinoa version and it worked pretty well. It made for a bit of a denser loaf with less rise, but it tasted just as good.

Sarah | Well and Full
    June 16, 2016 at 4:26 pm

I love that shot where you can see the texture inside of the bread. It looks perfect, just perfect 🙂

June 16, 2016 at 10:46 pm

Oh, Sarah! xox It’s really amazing how it toasts just like real bread too. I am so surprised what you can do with buckwheat. I am officially obsessed with it 🙂

Jenny
    June 18, 2016 at 12:06 am

Wondering where I might find buckwheat groats. I’ve come across them in a few recipes lately.

June 18, 2016 at 12:25 am

Hey, Jenny! I got mine at Wholefoods (in the bulk section) but I feel that most health food stores should sell them. If you don’t see them in bulk, I know that packaged brands like Bob’s Red Mill also sells them. Just be sure it’s the raw type and not the toasted version called Kasha. <3

Jenny
        June 18, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Great, thank you! I think I’m going to try to make it this week. My mom told me they sell them at our local natural food store.

June 19, 2016 at 12:07 am

That’s wonderful! I can’t wait to see your version 🙂

• Max Barnhart
            December 18, 2016 at 1:44 am

I love this bread!! Thank you for the recipe. I got my raw buckwheat groats from Nuts.com – next order I’m getting a 5 pound bag.

• sophamac@gmail.com
            January 13, 2017 at 10:58 pm

I’m so pleased to hear you’ve been enjoying it! xox

laura
    June 18, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Hi Sophie!I can’t find the cranberry orange muffins recipe. My family love them, but I don’t remember the recipe. You can help me?

June 19, 2016 at 12:11 am

Hello Laura! That must have been one of the recipes that got lost when I moved the site over, but I have restored it and it’s up and working now – http://www.wholeheartedeats.com/2013/12/cranberry-orange-muffin/
      I’m so pleased to know your family loves them! <3

laura
        June 19, 2016 at 2:44 am

Oh Sophie you’re amazing!!! thank you so much

June 19, 2016 at 7:01 am

Ashley
    June 25, 2016 at 2:51 pm

will buckwheat flour work instead of groats?

June 26, 2016 at 3:09 am

Hey Ashley. What a great question! I haven’t tried this recipes with buckwheat flour, but I feel it might not work as well (it might come out heavy and dense). If you don’t have access to buckwheat groats, try maybe a combination of quinoa and millet.
      Best of luck! xox

Anna
    July 7, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Wow ! Thank you so much for this recipe. I just made a loaf yesterday and I love everything about it : the taste, the texture, the moist.. it’s so tender and fulfilling it will certainly become a staple in my house. My 14 month old son loved it, i’m so happy I found this recipe as i’ve been streuggling to feed him something that is nutritious and fulfilling at the same time, I just spread some almond butter on it and he loves it. It’s so so so good thank you !!

July 20, 2016 at 5:32 am

Oh Anna! This is the best comment in ages, you’ve truley made my day. I’m beyond delighted that you and your family are enjoying the bread. Way to be a rockin’ mum who feeds your bb such wonderful whole foods. xox

Anna
    July 7, 2016 at 1:09 pm

The only thing is my bread is much flatter than the one in your pictures.. I don’t know why since I followed all the indications and put the 2 tsp baking powder. Anyway it doesn’t matter that much it’s still delicious

July 20, 2016 at 5:33 am

Oh deary, I wonder why. It might have to do with the pan perhaps? Or is your baking powder older maybe?

Lovina
    July 12, 2016 at 6:09 pm

Are u using hulled or unhulled groats? (From the pic it appears hulled) Would it matter if one used unhulled?

July 20, 2016 at 5:42 am

I used hulled, yes. Actually, I have never seen unhulled ones in the store before, but that’s a very interesting concept that now has me pondering. I think using unhulled groats might be a little to coarse, or perhaps a little hard to fully blend.

Klara
    July 18, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Ohh amazing, I will try this one! Yum

July 20, 2016 at 5:51 am

Yay, I hope you enjoy, Klara!

nichelle
    July 30, 2016 at 7:04 pm

Hi i have buckwheat flour. Can i use that, if yes what will the measurements be?

Jeetu
    October 5, 2016 at 1:26 pm

buckwheat groats sounds very healthy and so many health benefits. I really want to try incorporating it in my diet.Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.

Charlie
    October 5, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Hi sophie,

Can I skip Psyllium Husk?

irene
    October 25, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Whew finally a bread that does not taste like a sponge or sandpaper. I by accident used quinoa instead of chia but it was still good.
    My loaf did not rise but I suspect it was as you mentioned in an earlier post that the baking power had expired.
    What size loaf pan did you use?
    Why did you not add ACV? just curious.

Thanks again for a great recipe:)

February 18, 2017 at 5:43 am

I’m so happy you liked the bread! I used a standard loaf pan which is 4½ × 8½. As for the ACV, I would have used that if I used baking soda, but with the powder the acid is not necessary for the bread to rise. Take care and i hope next time the loaf gets more rise out of it. <3

Bill
    November 3, 2016 at 3:53 pm

I make Buckwheat bread with a bottle of pure German lager beer……. and buckwheat flour with yeast and baking soda and
    either honey or some brown sugar and sea salt… heat the beer to 80 degrees F. and pour in in the premixed batter. Let set
    to rise about 40 minutes and then bake in oven at 350 degrees F. for about 45 minutes…….. can add any kind of nuts or herbs
    to any batch you make….. It turns out NICE……..

Chante
    November 13, 2016 at 10:59 pm

Do you use psyllium husks or psyllium husk powder?

November 14, 2016 at 12:27 am

I use the husks! I hope you enjoy the bread 🙂

Eliza
    November 29, 2016 at 2:50 am

Can eggs be substituted for the chia seeds? And have you tried sprouting the buckwheat? Stoked to have found this recipe for my gf daughter. Currently trying to follow the heal tooth decay diet and it’s hard to avoid grain bread! Thanks.

November 30, 2016 at 1:50 am

Hey Eliza! I’ve not used eggs in the recipe, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t yield a similar result. As for sprouting the buckwheat, I’ve never let it sit that long. Soaking the seeds overnight should bring it to a stage of activation and open up their nutrient, you just wound’t want the sprouts to get very long as it might make it bitter/grassy tasting. xox I hope you and your daughter enjoy <3

Eliza
    December 1, 2016 at 1:56 am

Also, does the recipe include the cup of water or is that just for soaking the buckwheat??

January 13, 2017 at 11:04 pm

Hello Eliza, the one cup water is for the chia and psyllium to soak in a create kind of a slurry. You can soak the buckwheat grain with enough water to cover it, and then discard that soaking water before blending. xox

Tammy
    December 4, 2016 at 4:11 am

My daughter has a corn allergy which is in baking powder. Is there something I could use instead?

January 13, 2017 at 11:02 pm

Hello Tammy, try replacing the baking powder with 1/2 tsp soda and a tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. 🙂

Elizabeth
    January 7, 2017 at 2:40 am

Hello! Just found out I am intolerant to gluten at the moment so this maybe my new morning toast! Any chance I can use psyllium husk powder? Its finer than the normal husk but its what I have on hand… or should I be wandering off to the grocery store for the husk???

January 13, 2017 at 10:02 pm

Hello Elizabeth, I don’t see why the powder wouldn’t work as well as the husk. I would try subbing it one to one.I hope you enjoy the bread and I’m so sorry to hear about your intolerance. xox

Marina
    January 28, 2017 at 7:04 am

I’m wondering if you could substitute the buckwheat with something like millet or quinoa…

January 28, 2017 at 8:59 pm

Totally, both work really well. You might want to check out this recipehttp://www.wholeheartedeats.com/2014/02/the-unbelievable-bread_20-html/ xox

Veronika
    January 30, 2017 at 4:43 pm

Hi Sophie,

I’ve tried your original unbelievable quinoa millet bread recipe and LOVED it, I’ve made it so many times by now that I’ve lost count. Hands down the best bread I’ve ever tried! I would love to try this one too, but I have two questions I hope you can help me with:

You mention specifically to use raw buckwheat groats, not kasha. Why is that? Is it just because of the differences in nutritional value, or do you think kasha would not work in this recipe? I ask because kasha is very popular where I live and super easy to come by, but raw groats are difficult to find and also much more expensive.

And one more thing: What kind of oven do you use?

Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipes!

February 1, 2017 at 3:13 am

Hey Veronika, I’m so excited to hear you love the bread!That’s wonderful <3 To answer your questions 1) My only concern with kasha is that it might be a little too flavourful (especially for those who don't love buckwheat). But if it's less expensive and easier to find, I'd totally give it a go. 2) My oven is a standard gas oven (not convection or anything fancy). All the best to you, xox Sophie

lea
    February 17, 2017 at 3:06 pm

Cannot eat seeds or nuts so will recipe work with out the chia seeds ? Also is there a substitute for psyllium husk ?

February 18, 2017 at 5:44 am

Hello Lea! The chia and psyllium help add lift to the loaf and bind it. If those are both out for you, maybe try adding two eggs? I myself have not done that, but it could work. Best of luck, Sophie

Christine
    February 27, 2017 at 10:32 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe, it’s amazing. I love the taste, how long it keeps, how simple it is to make, and how short the ingredient list is – such a feat, considering it is gluten free, vegan, and technically grain free. Way to go! I just wanted to tell you how grateful I’ve been for this recipe while I’ve been on a pretty restricted diet for the last month, and also to let you know that it also works as “mini bagels” if baked in a donut pan. Just a fun little twist because I was craving a bagel, and it totally did the trick xo

March 8, 2017 at 8:16 pm

This note makes me so happy, Christine!!! I’m glad I could help you find a bread you could eat. I must try the bagel method! So ingenious of you <3

Andreea
    March 9, 2017 at 9:10 am

What do I do with 1 cup of water? Is it for soaking or for blending the goats?

March 9, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Hey Andrea! The groats can be soaked in as much water as needed to cover them (they’ll get drained, so it doesn’t matter how much is used). The extra cup of water is for the chia seeds and psyllium husks to soak in. This will make a thick jelly that you’ll add to the base of the bread. xox

Liz
    March 19, 2017 at 5:16 am

Can this bread also be made using sorghum, amaranth and/or millet?

March 19, 2017 at 5:18 pm

Hey, Liz! I’ve never made this bread with amaranth, but I have made a very similar one using millet and quinoa (recipe here). That being said, I feel using a millet or millet/quinoa blend would work well in this recipe. Best of luck!