Drinks + Smoothies

WATERMELON + MINT LIMEADE

WATERMELON MINT LIMEADE WATERMELON + MINT LIMEADE

Summers when I was a kid would drag on for what seemed like an eternity. Long days spent wading in the surf would turn into long nights sat around the campfire cooking dinner and waiting for the moon to rise over the mountains. We would eagerly feast on fresh berries, ice creams, and homemade plum  fruit leather until our fingers were stained and our bellies ached. And by the end of it, we couldn’t wait for school to start again. These days summer passes in a flash. It’s already nearing the end of July and we’ve yet to spend a full day at the beach,  a weekend away camping, or let alone go get an ice cream cone.

While it takes more effort as an adult to fit in the carefree summer activities I love, it is easier to partake in the bounty of summer’s produce. Our  lives make it logistically impossible to spend a full day in the dappled shade of the beach, but it doesn’t mean we can’t  at least spend the evenings after work sipping on a tropical drink in the cool shade of the porch.

Watermelon juice is one of our favourite summer drinks to sip and enjoy after a long day cooped up inside. It’s naturally sweet, refreshing, and a cinch to make. Fresh mint, lime, and cucumber help brighten up the already happy and summery flavour of the melon, while adding some extra hydration and  juicy notes. This juice makes for a great festive cocktail paired with some gin or rum, is perfect as is over some crushed ice, or for something a little special try mixing it a splash of soda water for a naturally sweetened soda.

We’re off to go hiking and enjoy the weekend sunshine! Hope you get to enjoy the same.

• Always into eating as locally as possible (like Canadian quinoa, etc.), Healthyish has some great North America swaps for the trendy imported foods we often call ‘superfood’ (a word that has little meaning to begin with, but that’s another story). Better for us, the environment, and local people’s food supply, the “when in doubt, eat like Grandma” rule holds strong.
  • Recently looking at a BBC Vegetarian Magazine from 2008, I couldn’t believe how food photos have changed (improved more like it) over the last 10 or so years. Naturally, I’m loving this little synopsis of how  food photography as evolved over the last 170 years.
  • I’m definitely addicted to sugar (says the girl who just ate half a doughnut and bought 5 boxes of on sale Larry + Luna ice cream bars last week). Mind body Green has some great tips on how to cut the sugar, something that I need to start adopting into my own diet asap.
  • I’m always disgusted to see how much waste we, as socially conscious people, produce so I can’t even fathom the amount of waste those who think differently than us make. Pure Green breaks down the steps on how to produce less waste. What are your favourite ways to make less waste?
  • Speaking of living a low waste life style, my favourite Vancouver shop is expanding to carry bulk frozen berries, dairy, vegan cheese, and hummus! This is just a few new editions to their bulk soaps, tofu, oils, tamari, herbs, and spices. If you are in need of a business idea, please open a shop like this in your town.
  • Finally, my lovely friends Demetria + Milla have produced their second herbalist zine.  If you’re into DIY healing, this is just the thing for you.

WATERMELON + MINT LIMEAID QUENCHER

Serves 6-8. Print Recipe Here

1/2 Cup Lime Juice (2-4 limes)
8 Cups  Chopped Watermelon
3 Cups Peeled and Chopped Cucumber
Handful Mint (about 1/4 cup)
Carbonated Water (Optional)

1. Puree the lime juice, watermelon, cucumber, and mint in a Vitamix. Pass the juice through a sieve or nut milk bag to remove some extra ‘pulp’. Chill until cold and drink as is, or with a splash of carbonated water for a naturally sweetened pop.

WATERMELON + MINT LIMEAID

Meredith | Earth & Oven
    July 24, 2017 at 7:43 pm

This post is so beautiful + the epitome of what I want to be glugging back in the warmer months.

July 24, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Awe, thank you so much Meredith! I wish I could share some porch hangs and big ‘ol glasses of juice together. Stay cool, friend 🙂

Caroline | Unsweetened Caroline
    July 24, 2017 at 8:07 pm

I love that this is sugar-free! I’ll need to try it out. Also, I feel exactly the same way about summer – It goes by way too fast!

July 24, 2017 at 8:28 pm

Yay, I’m so happy you like it, Caroline! Here’s to no sugar and slowing down summer a bit <3

Melissa
    July 24, 2017 at 10:23 pm

Beautiful photography! Looks so refreshing! Can’t wait for local watermelon! Also, can we take a few months off of winter and add them to summer?

July 25, 2017 at 3:06 am

Thank you so much, Melissa! And yes to local melon! I’ve missed the last few Kits markets and feel like I’m falling behind in the summer fruit game. I cannot wait to stock up again.

Jessica
    July 25, 2017 at 12:40 am

Isn’t is something how summer (and life) seems to last forever during the care free days of childhood. While we may not be fortunate enough to experience those days as adults. it’s lovely to have those memories to look back on. This is an amazing summer refresher! I’d gladly sit on the back porch and sip one of these watermelon mint limeades. Cheers my friend!

July 31, 2017 at 12:33 am

Seriously, where does the time go??? I’ll never know. So happy you like the post, Jess. Wishing you a beautiful and long summer <3

Medha @ Whisk & Shout
    July 25, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Um, so yum! Loving this- pinned!

July 31, 2017 at 12:33 am

Yay!!! That thrills me to hear, Medha!

Sasha Swerdloff
    July 25, 2017 at 6:04 pm

YUM! This looks perfect for these warm summer days. Also, loving all these great links!

XO

July 31, 2017 at 12:33 am

Thanks a million, Sasha! <3

Melissa Griffiths
    July 25, 2017 at 7:11 pm

Oh this looks so refreshing and delicious! The only consolation for how fast summer flies by is the idea of fall flavors coming soon…:)

July 31, 2017 at 12:34 am

Ha ha, so true Melissa! I’m missing sweater weather already 🙂

Gemma
    July 26, 2017 at 10:20 pm

Oh Sophie this summery drink looks so good! Watermelon has always been my favorite summer fruit (and apricots too!) and I make every day watermelon gazpacho but this is such a great option when I’m craving for something more light and quick.
    Lovely pictures!

xo

PS: I still haven’t had time to go to the beach even though I live like 5 minutes away from it, so I feel you! :-p

July 31, 2017 at 12:36 am

Whoa! Watermelon gazpacho sounds amazing! So happy you like the post. Lol, I live like 5 minutes from the beach too! We got to get our toes wet at least once this summer. 🙂

Rebecca
    July 28, 2017 at 2:18 pm

What a refreshing drink! And your links are all so great! Aaand you brought back so many fun memories of summer when young! 🙂

July 31, 2017 at 12:35 am

Awe, thank you so much, Rebecca! I’m delighted to hear you liked the post. I hope you’re having a wonderful summer <3