Breakfast + Brunch/ Loaves + Crackers/ Vegan

SPROUTED WHEAT MANNA BREAD

Sprouted Wheat Mana Bread

I cannot believe I’m just getting around to sharing this recipe with you all! It used to be a recipe I’d make on a weekly basis (like three years ago) but fell out of the habit of baking because, well, that’s life. With spring here I am feeling so inspired to make all the things I used to make and love that I had tucked away for a later date. Part of this is due to my new motto “be yourself – make what you want”, the other key player is finally feeling settled in one spot long enough to properly get all nesty and homey. So without further ado, I introduce you to Manna Bread.

or Sprouted Bread

or Essenes Bread

or whatever name you prefer….

Basically this bread is made only from sprouted wheat berries (the entire grain – bran, germ, and endosperm) with a little bit of salt and some raisins for flavour. While I know a lot of people are avoiding wheat these days, I think it’s important for those of us who don’t have sensitivities to the grain to try to consume it in healthier forms. You see, as a baker,  I love bread. I would go as far as to say that I am a bread snob. So when I see people at the grocery store pick up generic sliced, chemically-rich bread that contains such additives as ‘human hair’ or ‘chicken feathers‘ a little piece of me dies inside*.

Bread for me is life. It is the backbone for most every civilization. It is the embodiment of history, comfort, and the synonym for sharing.

Historically, sprouted bread like this is attributed to the Essenes, a historical group who flourished over 2ooo years ago. Some stories claim that the bread was cooked in the sun, which in recent times has made this type of bread very popular with raw foodies. While I did bake mine, you could easily dehydrate it (I’d probably split the recipe into two loaves) to maintain as much nutrients as possible. And while you may look at these slices and think “how can I make this into a sandwich?”, you probably can’t. While the slices are small, they are packed with nutrients and fibre and will keep you much fuller than four slices of the store bought stuff.

*If you do want to buy store bought bread, I love Ezekiel and Silver Hills – not sponsored, I just love and eat these.

Sprouted Wheat Manna Bread Sprouted Wheat Mana Bread Sprouted Wheat Mana Bread SPROUTED BREAD PHOTOGRAPHY

• A great blog post from my friends at T & T about the inherent conflicts between blogging and sponsorships.
  • I’ve been following Jessica’s IG for years now (seriously if you love gorgeous homes, boho fashions, and adorable kids, I can’t recommend it enough) but rarely ever get to reading her blog. I came across a recent post she wrote on style in the age of social media which I think we can all relate to. I’ve been finding myself questioning my tastes as of late, from clothes to home wear, to food and even photo style. Like, do I like this or am I liking this because I’m told to? Important questions to ask yourself regularly.
  • This made me lol. I think that if it came to fruition, it would become our family’s favourite cookbook.
  • Another lol article– and totally in tune with last week’s rainbow/mermaid complaints.
  • The amazing Andrea has her new book out! Sherri made these insane looking watermelon radishes while Kate made this strawberry salsa from it. I cannot wait to grab a copy for myself.
  • Speaking of things to make, can someone please have a party so I can bake Izy’s malt cake (because, just look at it!)???? and Lindsey’s cookie balls? And last, but not least, Ashae’s granola looks out of this world good – and I seriously just LOVE this lady.
  • A pertinent article in regards to the #realdietstory and the importance of language surrounding food.
  • Finally, my bb girl has a interview over on Kimberley Hasselbrink’s site. I feel like a proud mama bird over here <3

Mana Bread-3

While this bread does take about three days to prep and make, it comes together with very little work. I’d recommend making a couple of loaves at a time and popping extra ones in the freezer once they’re cooked. Below I’ve included the ingredients to make a sweet loaf. If you’d rather have a savoury slice of toast, skip the raisins and cinnamon, and feel free to add spices, dried herbs, or chopped nuts once the mixture is pureed.

SPROUTED WHEAT MANNA BREAD

Based on this recipe, this recipe, and this recipe

Makes 1 x 5 by 9 inch (12 by 22 cm) Loaf. Print Recipe Here

2 Cups Wheat Berries (or spelt or rye)
1 tsp. Sea Salt
1/2 Cup Raisins
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon

Seeds for garnish – I used pumpkin, sesame, and sunflower, but buckwheat, poppy seeds, flax, or chopped nuts would work too.

1. Add the wheat berries to a large jar and fill it with water. Let them sit in the water overnight on the counter. The next day, drain the water and cover the top of the jar with cheesecloth or a milk nut bag (like this) If you have a spouter, you can use that too. Just a note that the wheat will double in size, so make sure you have a big jar.
  2. Once the jar is covered with a breathable lid, rinse the sprouts again, and leave them in an upright dish to drain (at around a 45 degree angle). Give the sprouts a rinse twice a day with fresh water. Drain the excess water off and leave them to drain fully in the dish.
  3. Around the second day the wheat should have sprouted (it can take a little longer depending on temperature) and the sprouts should be as long as the kernel. This is as long as you want the sprouts to get. Any longer than this the sprouts have the risk of tasting bitter and green. Try to keep an eye on them, they grow fast.
  4. As soon as your seeds are as long as the grain, you can begin making the bread. If you don’t want to make bread ASAP, the sprouts can be stored in the fridge for a couple days. They will continue to grow in the fridge, so keep an eye on them (I’d give them a day or two in their at max).
  5. Rinse the sprouts one last time and drain them well. Combine them in a food processor with the raisins, cinnamon, and salt. Puree the mixture until a coarse dough is made. I stopped pureeing as soon as the dough began to form a ball.
  6. Grease your hands well and on a parchment lined tray, mould the dough into a loaf shape – around 12 cm wide and 22 cm long (or 5 by 9 inch) and around 4 cm tall  (1 1/4- 1 1/2). If you make it thicker than this, it might not dry out correctly.
  7. Bake at 120 C (250 F) for three hours. Let the bread cool before slicing. Because of the lack of preservatives, this bread is best wrapped and stored in the fridge.

SPROUTED WHEAT MANNA BREAD SPROUTED WHEAT MANNA BREAD xox Sophie

March 26, 2017 at 2:43 pm

This bread looks stellar! So into it. I loved your links this week. I totally feel that article about the phrase “clean eating.” I’ve always felt that terms like “clean” “cleanse” and “detox” are just used as another way to make women feel as though their bodies are somehow dirty or wrong. I totally get eating foods that are going to heal and make your body feel great, but those specific words always make me shudder a little. It is such a personal thing and those words feel like a universal prescription that is being sold to us. UGH. Thanks for sharing, Sophie! <3

March 27, 2017 at 6:30 am

Oh, I’m delighted to hear you like the links, Maya! Yes! Detox is one of my least favourite words of all time. And you’re so right that all the words assume that some sort of lineal scale running bad to good exists. Enough of this food guilt! xox Happy weekend to you, buddy

Valentina | The Blue Bride
    March 26, 2017 at 8:11 pm

Oh I used to eat this bread when I was living in France years ago! Thanks so much for sharing 😀

March 27, 2017 at 6:05 am

I’m so happy to hear you like the post, Valentina! Living in France?! That sounds like an amazing experience. I hope this loaf can live up to it’s French counterpart 🙂

Chantel
    March 27, 2017 at 1:34 pm

This look freaking amazing.

March 28, 2017 at 3:16 am

Ah, thank you! It is super yummy- I even had a slice this morning <3

Jess @Nourished by Nutrition
    March 27, 2017 at 5:16 pm

I LOVE Ezekiel bead – the Genesis to be specific! I’ve had numerous failed attempts at making a sourdough starter so maybe something like this would work better for me! I love how dense and seedy this bread looks. Have you only ever tried this with wheat berries? I’m thinking it would, but I’m curious to know if you’ve tried any other wheat variety or whole grain.

March 28, 2017 at 3:31 am

Yay for Ezekiel bread! So much love for it! Yes, I have made this bread with other grains, mainly spelt but also with with emmer before. I think you could even add a couple of Tbsp. Soaked buckwheat or millet too. I’d love to know if you give it a go xox <3

Kankana
    March 27, 2017 at 6:26 pm

wow wow! I never baked breads with sprout.. but you convinced me completely!

March 28, 2017 at 3:34 am

Awe, so happy to hear so, Kankana. Baking with sprouts is a little strange at first but really fun once you get the hang of it. 😉

Jodi
    March 27, 2017 at 9:37 pm

I do love manna bread. I do however, always wish the slices were just a touch bigger 🙂 I used take home the banana manna from the health food store I worked at when it was freezer burned – those were the good days! I relate so much to what you said here sophie, being a baker as well (well not professionally anymore but maybe again one day) I have a deep deep love affair with wheat. I guess it all started in France, but now I just can’t imagine being in a home where there isn’t a loaf of bread around. It gets such a bad rap, poor gluten, but there are so many delicious and nutritious ways to prepare it. It all comes back to basics, I think I watched the ‘air’ episode of COOKED more times than I can count. I could go on and one, but just want to say thank you for this recipe and thank you for standing up for grains in all their glory. big love xx

March 29, 2017 at 3:16 am

I love it, Jodi! I’ve had friends who’ve worked at health-food shops and I always envied the expired yogurt and treasures they got their hands on. I’d be all over that banana manna bread! I too feel bad for gluten. When I used to work at an organic bakery in Victoria, people would come in looking for gluten free bread and I’d always ask them about it and the reasons why. Then I’d show them the loaf of naturally leavened bread made out of stone milled flour, grown less that a 30 minute drive away, and they’d be like ‘no’ – and go buy something with weird gums and stabilizers in it. And I be ‘but this has four ingredients and one is water!’ – lol

It’s truly a shame people have been made to fear wheat, when it’s just modern processed food they should fear.

And yes!!! So much love for that episode of COOKED! Also, the first few minutes of the Nancy Silverton episode of Chefs Table is pure gold. I could watch people make sourdough bread for hours and hours and never tire of it . xox <3

Heidi | Enlightened Decadence
    March 28, 2017 at 11:10 pm

I remember making manna bread once…time maybe to give it another go with your recipe. I’m just terribly guilty of eating entire loafs of the stuff… in a single sitting (oh yeah). Also, I love spying all the pretty treasures in your photos 🙂

BTW, great links…and LOL to Ina and Stephen.

March 29, 2017 at 3:15 am

I too have been known to eat entire loaves of things in one sitting – there is just something about fresh bread that’s so morish! Can’t stop wont stop 🙂 I’m so happy to hear you like the post and seeing into our little home! I have to admit, I’m pretty bad for collecting too many treasures. xox

Susan
    June 9, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Can u add carrots to this recipe?? If so what are the proportions?

June 14, 2017 at 2:35 am

Hello Susan! Yes, you can totally add carrots. Personally, I’d stick to 1/2 cup ish and be sure to squeeze out as much of the juice from the grated carrots as possible (to prevent a wet loaf). I’d love to hear how it turns out 🙂