Cookies, Bars, + Treats/ Desserts/ Gluten Free/ Uncategorized/ Vegan

SALTED MISO CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIE BARS

SALTED MISO CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIE BARS

Things have started to balance out at home. Shai has gotten over his initial wild-manic-kitten phase and is becoming more chill everyday. This means I don’t have to watch him 24/7 to make sure he doesn’t get into trouble, which is truly a blessing. Speaking of change, Adam started a new job last week, which has forced me to go back to a regular schedule after spending nearly four months kind of winging it here and there. I’ve never been a schedule or routine kind of gal, but instilling one for my work habits will definitely help me break up the work/life balance a bit better and help me get to posting a little more regularly (I have so many ideas I can’t wait to share!)

This weekend we’re meal prepping for Adam’s work lunches (big batch cooking of quinoa, beans, and pickling of summer veggies going on). For a sweet lunch treat, I whipped up a couple of batches of these chocolate chip cookie bars (at least one batch has already disappeared) and have popped them in the freezer for him to grab on his way out the door, or for me to have during one of my scheduled coffee breaks (okay, maybe not scheduled).

They have all the ooey gooey chewiness of a typical chocolate chip cookie, but are made with healthier gluten free flours (no weird gums in sight), lower glycemic sugar, and a nice bit of miso for some salty umami. Next on the agenda is baking these bars as cookies and stocking the freezer with some salted miso chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches with this cashew ice cream.

Happy weekend and GoT watching, friends!

• I recently took a friend of mine to my favourite metaphysical store, and while she methodically picked out the right stones for her (referencing books and the storekeeper’s opinion), I just took a handful from the dollar bin. So, if you’re like me and have little time or energy to put into research,  here’s some fun little crystal magic.
  • Some of my recent IG loves include Hana’s magical hippy dippy (hippy in like the BEST way) cakes, Sofia’s lovely little slice of rural Ontario, and the salad queen and GIF master herself,  Julia.
  • Every dinner party or get together, the topic of podcasts always comes up. One that I can’t recommend enough is Radio Cherry Bombe – Izy Hossack, Yossy Arefi, and Martha Stewart! How can you lose?
  • This week I’ve  been trying to learn more and more about photography + editing, and these are a few of my favourite Youtube channels to watch – Who Shot the Photographer, Mango Street Lab (seriously the best), and Peter McKinnon.
  • So happy Canada has joined the 21 century and has removed milk from the National Food guide and focused more on whole plants than on meat. Whoop whoop!
  • Taking a second for mental health is probably the most important thing we can do each day. Regardless of if you’re a blogger or not, Renee has a few helpful tips on how to avoid burn-out and live a creative life.
  • This couple travelled to every National Park in the US (via airstream!) in a year. Talk about travel goals.
  • Finally, the things I’ve wanted to eat this week include- Haley’s nutty slaw (major slaw fan over here), Laura’s romesco sauce (already made once this week and have been dying to put it on potatoes since -like Spanish patatas bravas – yum!), and Tuulia’s mini Portobello pizzas.

SALTED MISO CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIE BARS SALTED MISO CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIE BARS

SALTED MISO CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIE BARS

Makes 16. Print Recipe Here

1/2 Cup Baking Oil of Choice (coconut, olive, avocado)
1 Tbsp. Ground Chia Seed
3 Tbsp. Milk or Almond Milk
3/4 Cup Coconut Sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. White Miso
1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
2 Cups Almond Flour
1/2 Cup Brown Rice Flour (or Millet Flour)
1 Tbsp. Arrowroot Powder or Cornstarch (not necessary, but helps bind)
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
3/4 Cup Chocolate Chunks
Flakey Sea Salt like Maldon Salt

1. In a bowl add the miso and milk and whisk to make a paste. Next add the oil, chia, coconut sugar and vanilla, mixing to combine.
  2. In another bowl stir together the flours, arrowroot, baking powder and soda.
  3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until combined. You can even use your hands if necessary as the dough is rather stiff (being gluten free there is no concern of over mixing). Finally stir in the chocolate chunks.
  4. Line a 20 cm (8 inch) square pan with parchment paper and spread out the cookie dough. Top with a sprinkle of salt and bake in a 350 F oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the edges are puffed and golden and the middle feels set. Let cool completely before slicing.

miso chocolate chip bars 5 xox Sophie

Valentina | The Blue Bride
    July 16, 2017 at 9:47 pm

Wow, so many interesting links and these cookie bars…Oh. My. God. <3

July 18, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Your comment is the sweetest, Valentina! I’m so happy you enjoyed the links! And seriously, these bars are yummy! (already ate one today 😉 )

Medha @ Whisk & Shout
    July 17, 2017 at 6:18 pm

Oh wow these look delicious- I need to get miso back in my pantry! Pinning 🙂

July 18, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Yay! Yes, you need that miso. I hope you enjoy these bars, Medha.

Heidi | The Simple Green
    July 17, 2017 at 8:41 pm

Cookie bites sound amazing, Sophie; especially with all the yummy sweet/salt. Thumbs up for no wired gums lol.
    And isn’t Peter MacKinnom the best? He’s such a dynamic YouTube/photog and I’ve been loving his stuff.
    Xx

July 18, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Oh my goodness, he makes it look so easy. A little bit is ‘can you just come here and teach me everything!!!’ So happy you like the bars, Heidi! I hope your island summer is going fabulously.

Heidi | The Simple Green
    July 17, 2017 at 8:44 pm

Ps- could my above comment have any more phone typos? Seriously…lol

IRENE FINDLEY
    July 18, 2017 at 1:31 am

Looks fantastic. What chocolate chunks did you use.? Can I break up a bar of baking chocolate?

July 18, 2017 at 7:22 pm

Thanks, Irene! I used the brand called ‘Enjoy Life‘ just becuase I find them to be the perfect about of sweetness/ nice size, but yes a chopped chocolate bar or bakers chocolate would totally work. Enjoy!

Laurel
    July 19, 2017 at 4:54 pm

You had me at miso, Sophie! LOVE that it adds such a lovely umami note that is balanced out perfectly by the sweetness of the bars!

July 24, 2017 at 8:18 pm

Awe, yay! I’m so happy to hear this Laurel <3

Jessie Snyder
    July 20, 2017 at 8:39 pm

Food prepping is the best! Especially dessert food. Loving the look of these bars, Sophie. I need to give this one a whirl soon. Happy “scheduling” – it never works for me either ;). xoxo

July 24, 2017 at 8:24 pm

Thanks a million, Jessie!! Lol, the scheduling isn’t going as well as planned. I really need to schedule some time for scheduling 😉 All the best to you friend <3

Sophia
    July 23, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Is there anything that I could substitute the almond flour with? I’m allergic to almonds

July 24, 2017 at 8:18 pm

Hey Sophia! Sorry to hear about your allergy. If you don’t mind gluten, I’d try to make a batch with a wholegrain flour (like spelt). I haven’t tried it, but I’d start by using about 1 and 3/4 cup flour to 2 cups (and skipping the rice flour). And maybe check on them a bit earlier than suggested.

Otherwise, I’ve heard of people having great success with using ground sunflower seeds. Here is a DIY –

all the best <3

Ruby & Cake
    July 24, 2017 at 5:24 am

I need to get better at scheduling my life I am hopeless at meal prepping. These would be wonderful to take to work for that 3:30 sugar craving I get hit with every day. Pinning for later!

July 24, 2017 at 8:10 pm

The scheduling thing is so hard to get down – I’m constantly having to write and re-write notes and list to myself, but we’ll get there eventually, Ruby 🙂 And yes, these are the perfect thing to munch on during those mid-day cravings. I’ve been eating them straight out of the freezer with a cup of tea. #noshame <3

July 27, 2017 at 1:35 am

Sophie! These are so dreamy! Salted chocolate is probably my favourite thing ever so these are right up my alley. Definitely checking out those photography youtube channels, I love learning more about different techniques and general tips. 🙂 I can’t wait to meet you soon, looking forward to it! xo