Make your own gluten-free bread crumbs at home with simple ingredients. This is a great way to use leftover GF bread and the crumbs will keep for a long time, ready to use in any recipes that call for bread crumbs, like lentil meatballs or nettle pasta.
Use a good purchased gluten-free bread or make your own millet bread, gluten-free sourdough bread, or grain-free buckwheat bread for a 100% homemade version.
Just gluten-free bread! You can add extras like garlic powder and herbs, but they're optional.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Bread: any gluten-free bread can be used, but one without too many seeds (think more grain and starch based) will make the most typical breadcrumb texture.
- Herbs and spices: these are optional but the recipe outlines Italian-flavoured crumbs with the herbs chosen. Try any herb blend you like.
How to Make Breadcrumbs
Step 1: cut the bread into equally-sized cubes and place into a food processor.
Step 2: blend until a meal forms, with some larger pieces okay.
Step 3: spread out onto a baking sheet.
Step 4: bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Use fresh or stale bread: day-old bread can be used just as well for this recipe as week-old, but freshly baked that day isn't ideal for breadcrumbs unless you take the extra step of drying it beforehand (see below).
- Don't skip the baking: the crumbs should be baked after mixing to ensure that they're dry and ready to store. If stored without this step, they'll spoil quickly.
- Blend twice if needed: if you want finer breadcrumbs, whiz them in the food processor a second time after baking to break them down further.
How to Store
Storage: dried breadcrumbs can be kept in a sealed container in a cool, dark place for up to two weeks.
Freezing: transfer cooled breadcrumbs to an airtight container and freeze for up to four months.
How do I make dry breadcrumbs?
To make dry crumbs, bake them after blending into breadcrumbs. This will dry them out and result in a longer shelf-life.
How do you dry bread quickly?
If you only have fresh bread, dry your bread cubes in the oven at 350°F for about 15 minutes before blending into crumbs.
How do I make bread crumbs without a machine?
If you don't have a food processor, place the dried bread cubes into a large bag and wack them with a rolling pin (make sure the work surface is protected) until they break up into crumbs.
More Gluten-Free Recipes
If you make these Gluten Free Breadcrumbs or any other vegan staple recipes on Wholehearted Eats, please take a moment to rate the recipe and leave a comment below. It’s such a help to others who want to try the recipe. For more WHE, follow along on Instagram or subscribe for new posts via email.
Gluten-Free Bread Crumbs
- 1 Food processor
- 1 Baking sheet
- Wooden spoon
- 4 cups gluten-free bread cubed
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF (150ºC) with the rack in the centre.
- Add the cubed bread into a food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Process on high speed until bread crumbs form, 1-2 minutes.4 cups gluten-free bread
- Transfer the crumbs to a large parchment-lined baking sheet, or split between two smaller ones. Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring every five minutes, until lightly browned and dry to the touch.
- For a finer crumb, cool and then blend again in a food processor until they've reached your desired consistency.
- Transfer the cooled breadcrumbs to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 4 months.
Leave a Reply