Raw Dishes/ Salad/ Snacks, Dips, + Appetizers/ Vegan

HEIRLOOM CARROT SALAD WITH TURMERIC DUKKAH

carrot salad_-7 I try to limit the amount of kitchen gadgets and thingamabob’s I allow myself to keep these days. In the past I’ve gone through stages of collecting kitchen wear form yard sales, free-boxes, and charity shops (enough to have starred in my own weird reality show). It’s often the novelty of a label that reads, “Made in the U.S.A.”, “Sweden”, “Germany”, “England”, or “Japan” that peaks my interest and has me thinking, ‘this is quality, how can I not?’ In the past this belief has left me with everything from a ’70’s meat grinder (seriously, what was I thinking), to a corn shaped cornbread pan that didn’t work worth a hot damn.

Two years ago we purged everything we owned and left to travel the world. Here I finally realized that not having was all that the self-help books will have you believe it is. With more objects comes more anxiety, more clutter (both mentally and physically), and they further distract one from living to live by the fear of living to have. Since coming back, we’ve slowly introduced new objects into our home, one step at a time, and always ensured we benefit from them and most importantly, find them joyful.

So naturally, I’ve been a little cautious with  jumping on the latest kitchen trends. When I saw Sarah’s recipe, then Izy’s, and  Laura’s, I was lusting over a spiralizer, yet managed to talk myself out of buying one. Then I was lucky enough to receive a copy of the fresh food mentor, Chris Anca’s (from Tales of a Kitchen) new beautiful book Nourishing Noodles  which is purely based on spiralized veggies. While I anticipated to see an array of zucchini noodles, I was not prepared for all the ingenious ways she utilizes spiralized veggies. Chris puts them in everything from smoothie bowls, to pancakes, parfaits, all the way to the most colourful and gorgeous salads around. My mind was blown by the fact that I could possible chow down on spiralized veg in basically every meal!

The book is bursting with fresh and vibrant dishes that will perfectly add that juicy crunch to summertime meals. With each turn of the page is another visually stunning dish. Next on my list are the Sweet Potato Brownies, Zucchini and Tomato Pancakes, and Beet and Herbed Noodles with Preserved Lemon.

Adam and I ate this salad for dinner the other night, and while I thought it might not be enough at first, it was just the right amount of food for the warm days we’ve been having. We picked up some fresh Romaine at the farmers market that day, so I added a bed of lettuce and topped it with some extra avocado (’cause we that kind of people). And this Turmeric Dukkah is the bomb, and has suddenly come BFF’s with my avocado toast.

***Also, the Saveur Blog Nominations are up, so go show some love to your favourite blogs***

carrot salad-2 carrot salad_-2 carrot salad-10 carrot salad_-8

Reprinted with Arrangement with Race Point Publishing, a member of Quarto Publishing Group

HEIRLOOM CARROT SALAD WITH TURMERIC DUKKAH

Recipe From Nourishing Noodles  Serves 2. Print it Here

3+ Large Carrots (I had smaller ones so I used about 8)
1/2 an Avocado
1 Tbsp. Mustard
1/3 Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 tsp. Seal Salt
1/4 tsp. Ground Pepper
1 Pinch Chili Flakes
1 Small Handful Cilantro, Chopped
Sprouts, Lettuce, and more Avocado (if you’re a glutton like me)
Turmeric Dukkah (Recipe Below)

1. Begin by making the carrot noodles. If you don’t have access to a spiralizer, feel free to use a coarse grater.

2. Next make the dressing but combining the avocado, mustard, oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and chili in a blender and puree until smooth.

3. To serve, toss the carrots in the avocado dressing (you may not need it all), and place upon a bed of greens and sprouts. Top with chopped cilantro, more avocado if desired, and plenty of dukkah.

carrot salad_-11

TURMERIC DUKKAH

Makes About 2 1/2 Cups (Easily Halved)

1 Cup Almonds
3/4 Cup Cashews
1/3 Cup Macadamia (I used Brazil Nuts)
1/3 Cup Toasted Sesame Seeds
1 Tbsp. Ground Turmeric
1 1/2 tsp. Cumin Seeds
1 tsp. Black Peppercorns
1/3 tsp. Sea Salt
1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/3 tsp. Ground Ginger
1/2 tsp. Coriander
1 Pinch Chili Flakes

1.Place the almonds, cashews, and macadamia nuts in a food processor (I used the dry mix container for the Vitamix) and blend until crumbled. Set Aside this mix in a bowl.

2. Add the seeds and whole spices to the blender next (or use a mortar and pestle), and grind them until pretty fine.

3. Toss together the seeds, ground spices, and nuts until well combined.

4. Store in a airtight jar the pantry for a couple of months.

carrot salad-7 xox Sophie

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine
    June 30, 2016 at 6:09 am

Love spiralizing carrots (or beets) any of the root veggies!
    The turmeric dukka sounds so delicious!! Love it, but I’ve never made my own dukka!

July 3, 2016 at 3:32 am

I’ve too fell head over heels for the spiralizer. I think the first time I did up a beet, I actually squealed with delight. I hope you try making your own dukkah at home – you’ll be surprised at how fast one person can go though it 🙂

Medha
    June 30, 2016 at 5:25 pm

This salad is gorgeous! I looove spiralizing veggies in salads- they’re so pretty :)_

July 3, 2016 at 3:33 am

oh, thank you so much! I can’t agree with you more. A spiralized anything is just so pretty and a real blast of fun.

Sarah | Well and Full
    June 30, 2016 at 5:26 pm

A 70’s meat grinder, really? That made me chuckle 😉 I think a spiralizer is a great kitchen tool to have though, especially in the summer with all this lovely produce waiting to be spiralized! I love making carrot noodles, they’re so crunchy and delicious 🙂

July 3, 2016 at 3:34 am

lol, what was I thinking?! My new mission is basically to find out what can’t be spiralized. So far, most things can. Ha!

Michlene
    July 4, 2016 at 5:38 pm

love your Instagram and your webpage 🙂 what spiralizer do you use/recommend?? cheers !

July 20, 2016 at 5:28 am

Thank you so much, Michlene! I bought a oxo tabletop version, simply because of the price. They really jump fro $20-$50 to over $100. Since getting it, I kind of wish I bought a better version that doesn’t waste as much veg matter – this one leaves a ‘core’ of whatever is being spiralized, which isn’t optimal but overall it does as good job 🙂

Jessie Snyder | Faring Well
    July 8, 2016 at 4:11 am

I am in love with this turmeric dukkah Sophie! And these photos, so colorful and beautiful. I hear you on the gizmo collection and purging of unnecessary items. We did the same over the past few moves and after living out of boxes the past two months in limbo decided that whatever we didn’t unpack in that time we didn’t need and then purged some more! It is amazing (and so freeing) when you let go of the clutter that keeps you from letting your mind “declutter” right?! I did however keep m spiralizer 😉 time to get zoodling! xx

July 20, 2016 at 5:37 am

Thank you sweet Jessie! It’s funny how you think that you love something, then you move and never unpack it, and then totally forget it even exists! That happened to us a couple times for sure. But, I must say I’m pretty stoked on this spiralizer- there isn’t a veggie left in the kitchen which I haven’t given it a whirl on 😉

Chris @ Talesofakitchen
    July 13, 2016 at 3:53 am

I love this so much! Thank you for such a wonderful review. It makes me so happy that you’re enjoying the book xx

July 20, 2016 at 5:44 am

Oh, thank you! It’s such a beautiful book. You should be so proud of all your hard work and dedication, Chris. This is truly going to be the summer of the spiralizer in our home. xox (also, we just hit up the turmeric dukkah tonight, such a winner!)

Marla@marlasmuffins
    September 4, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Wow! I have never heard of Dukkah before and now I have a new favorite. This was so delicious! Thank you!

September 6, 2016 at 6:50 pm

So happy you love the Dukkah, Marla! We put it on everything in our house – from yam fries to avo toast. My boy friend loves it on poached eggs too (if you eat them). It’s seriously addictive stuff. <3