Desserts/ Gluten Free/ Vegan

COCONUT CHAI ICE CREAM BARS

Coconut Chai Revello Coconut Chai Revello-15

Oh hey guys, it’s popsicle week! Unlike every other week which seems to spur a hashtag bonanza on Instagram from #doughnutday to #smoothieweek to #chocolatechipcookieday, this celebration actually matters. Every year Billy of Wit and Vinegar  organizes this super fun popsicle party, and what better way to kick off summer than a popsicle parade. For this years contribution, I’ve made these creamy, dreamy, Coconut Chai Ice Cream Bars. Inspired by ice cream flavours we enjoyed a couple year ago traveling in Morocco (think cinnamon ice cream, rasel el hanout, and pine nut to name a few) along with the childhood favourite of a dipped bar, and you’ve pretty much have this grown up classic.

While I’m not entirely sure what to call these (we always called them Revels as kids, but I Googled it and it’s apparently not a thing), they are inspired by the classical ice cream bar we used to get on sports days or at Grandma’s house. Growing up it was always a battle between my siblings over whether to get the ice cream pops, or fudgesicles (healthy version here), and as the impressionable middle child, I would side with whatever sibling I wanted to be nice to me. Now that I’m grown, I still find the choice between the two pretty darn tricky, but the addition of my favourite warming chai spices help me side with the ice cream version this round (whatever they’re called).

Based on the Salted Double Chocolate Ice Cream, this recipe used both the creaminess of coconut milk, oil, and cashews to create a rich and creamy (and egg free) ice cream base. Best of all, there is no cooking, stirring, or ice cream machine required.

Coconut Chai Revello-5 Coconut Chai Revello-4 Coconut Chai Revello-16

COCONUT CHAI ICE CREAM BARS

Makes 6-8 Popsicles. Print Recipe Here

3/4 Cup Cashews, Soaked at least 6-8 hours
1/2 Cup + 2 Tbsp. Boiling Water
1 Chai Tea bag
3/4 tsp. Ground Ginger
3/4 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Ground Cardamom
1/2 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
3 Tbsp. Melted Coconut Oil
1 can Full Fat Coconut Milk
4 Tbsp. Liquid Sweetener (I used Maple Syrup)
Pinch High Quality Flaky Sea Salt
1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract

Pistachios for garnish

Chocolate Coating

4 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
4 Tbsp. Cocoa
1 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
Pinch Sea Salt

1. The night before or early that day soak the cashews in enough water to cover them. After they are soft, drain and rinse well. Meanwhile, measure the boiling water and steep the chai tea bag for about 10 minutes (or as recommended on the package. You want it strong, but not bitter.

2. Combine the chai tea and cashews in a high speed blender and puree until fully smooth (this can take a few minutes). Add the spices, vanilla, salt, oil, and coconut milk along with the sweetener. Puree again until nice and frothy.

3. Pour into popsicle moulds and freeze overnight.The next day mix the chocolate coating by combining the oil, cocoa, salt, and sweetener in a pot over low heat until combined. Pour the chocolate mixture into a small bowl and dip the ice cream bars into the chocolate. Sprinkle with chopped pistachios if desired. Return to the freeze until you’re ready to eat them!

Share your creations on IG with the tag #coconutchaibars, #popsicleweek and #Wholeheartedeats

P.S. My popsicle mould is from Onyx. Not sponsored, just love it that’s all

Coconut Chai Revello-7 xox Sophie

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine
    June 22, 2016 at 12:17 pm

I think I need to celebrate popsicle week with these 😉 Love all the flavors! Coconut, cashew, chocolate, pistachio!!

June 23, 2016 at 12:12 am

Oh man, I totally think you’re right! Happy popsicle week, Rebecca <3

Sarah | Well and Full
    June 23, 2016 at 1:32 am

Happy #PopsicleWeek, girl!! I love recipes associated with a childhood memory… it’s funny, because growing up, at my Grandma’s house, my two cousins and I always argued on whether we should get fudgesicles or popsicles too! 😀 Grandma would usually get us both, though 😉 We were definitely spoiled! Those store bought pops were nothing like these, though! These ice cream bars look so creamy and dreamy! 😀

June 24, 2016 at 4:01 am

Thank you so much, Sarah! Sometimes I feel all of my recipes are based on childhood memories. I guess what I like hasn’t changed in 20 years. Lol <3

Medha
    June 23, 2016 at 2:14 am

These bars are gorgeous! I so rarely have chai with chocolate and I love that unique flavor combo here 🙂 And a lil coconut and pistachio never hurt no one…

June 24, 2016 at 4:04 am

Yay, thank you so much, Medha! This is actually the first time I think I’ve had chai with chocolate, but I’m loving it. Now, I’m thinking about making some chai truffles! Oh yum! xox

Jessie Snyder
    June 23, 2016 at 6:10 pm

How dreamy are these Sophie! I love love love creamsicles, and this chai version is something I am totally craving. Something about halfway to fall that makes me crave these sweet spices again. Happy popsicle week friend! And you’re so right, its the only one that matters 😉

June 24, 2016 at 4:08 am

Lol, I suddenly smiled as soon as I read “half way to fall” – my true colours are showing. I’m so happy you like the post. I wish I could send some popsicles down your way to help combat that Cali heat!

Sarah @ Snixy Kitchen
    June 24, 2016 at 3:55 am

The chocolate coating and pistachios on top make these popsicles look so elegant! I’d definitely choose this Revel of all the options!

June 26, 2016 at 3:12 am

Ah, thanks a million, Sarah! I think eating off the chocolate coating is the best, long live the Revel 🙂

Jackie
    June 24, 2016 at 6:02 am

these popsicles are BEAUTIFUL and I love anything with CARDAMOM! 🙂 it’s such a great spice

xoxo
    Sea Salt Shoes

June 26, 2016 at 3:14 am

Yes, I love hearing that Jackie. I think people are often afraid of cardamom, but love how versatile it is as a spice- from Indian cooking to Scandinavian desserts, and all the way in between. So happy you like these popsicles <3

Elenore Bendel Zahn
    June 28, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Holy moly these are the most amazing popsicles I’ve seen all week. Seriously. Chai, pistachios, cream ..and chocolate?! Girl you’ve got game! Also, we have the same popsicle molds. No to plastic foevvah! Biggest hug, love!

July 3, 2016 at 3:29 am

Oh Elenore, you’re too sweet! It’s truly is a rocking combo (and just a secret between you and I, the filling once refrigerated makes the best icing – hello carrot cake with chai cream!) Yes, yes, yes to these moulds! Ain’t they just the best xox big hug and a squeeze back <3

Sanne
    July 11, 2016 at 10:16 am

I absolutely love the way you write!
    These ice creams sound so delicious, even more because you say you use coconut milk, cashews and oil to make them very creamy. I am super curious about the taste! And because it seems easy to make I am gonna try the taste maybe very soon :). Thanks for the recipe!

July 20, 2016 at 5:39 am

Oh you’re too sweet, Sanne! These ice cream bars are super creamy and luscious, but not in that heavy normal ice cream way. I hope you give them a go and enjoy them as much as we did <3