Breakfast + Brunch/ Drinks + Smoothies/ Raw Dishes

MEGA VEGGIE SMOOTHIE WITH CAULIFLOWER & BEET

MEGA VEGGIE SMOOTHIE WITH CAULIFLOWER & BEET

I normally like to stay away from the trendy internet food fads (re: mermaid or rainbow coloured anything), but sometimes I admit, I’m curious. Years ago I tried making a cauliflower smoothie  after coming across it on a food forum. No joke, it was awful and ended up going straight for the compost.

But over the last few months I’ve seen major insta-inspirations like Lee Tilghman and Jeannette Ogden add veggies like cauliflower and zucchini to their everyday smoothie concoctions, so I decided to give it another thought. After a few less than enjoyable attempts, I’ve come to the realization that these ingredients are in fact a delicious addition to any smoothie, but no way a total sub for the creamy sweetness of banana/avocado/or yam.

Besides helping reduce the overall banana flavour and sugar content of a smoothie, adding veggies helps incorporates some extra fibre and nutrients that you wouldn’t otherwise get in your normal breakfast routine. I’ve gotten in the habit lately of chopping up veggies like cauliflower into little florets and freezing them alongside my banana in easy to grab freezer baggies. Other veg like zucchini or kale will get frozen as soon as I come home from the market (they’re great to add  to soups and stews). Or, if you have any left over kale that starts to go limp and lose it luster in the fridge, just simply chop it up and freeze.

This weekend Adam’s busy with homework, which means I have the entire weekend to get the garden prepped and ready for a little spring planting (depending on the weather – fingers crossed) and will be checking the SPCA a dozen times a day on the lookout for a new member of the family!

MEGA VEGGIE SMOOTHIE WITH CAULIFLOWER & BEET

• This week I’ve been eyeing up Sherrie’s Cauliflower Chickpea Golden Stew,  which is seriously a bowl of sunshine that I can’t wait to dive into. As you all know I have a major muffin love, and Heather’s Blueberry Bran look so love-worthy. Finally rounding up the breakfast end of things,  Lindsey’s take on Laura’s pancakes are a must (I love when pancakes are a big as your head!) and Marta’s intoxicatingly beautiful smoothie has me yearning for green
  • These cookies are for suresies happening this weekend (maybe even tonight), and will most likely be accompanied by a little binge watching of Love season 2.
  • Speaking of watching too much t.v., last week we went and saw the documentary I am not your Negro. For those of you who are unfamiliar with it, I recommend looking up James Baldwin on Youtube.
  •  On Thursday, the new doc What the Health (from the makes behind Cowspiracy) came out.  It delves into the interconnection between big business, government, and health care – basically everything I studied in my undergrad. I’ve yet to see the film, but it’s on the watch list.
  • It has rained cats and dogs all week, so I’ve been holding out until the weather warms up a bit to make this Ginger drink. I’m looking forward to consuming vast amounts of it on the porch any day now.
  • With spring almost here, stinging nettle season has come the the coast. I’m eagerly waiting a visit home to collect some and make nettle infused chocolates inspired by my friend Demetria.
  • Finally, but not least, the new hosts of the GBBO have been named . They’re not the worst, but seriously nobody can replace my Mel and Sue.

MEGA VEGGIE SMOOTHIE WITH CAULIFLOWER & BEET

MEGA VEGGIE SMOOTHIE WITH CAULIFLOWER & BEET

Serves 2-4. Print Recipe Here

1/4 Cup Frozen Cauliflower Floretes (Raw)
1/4 Cup Frozen Zucchini (Raw)
A handful (1/4 Cup) Frozen Kale or Spinach leaves
A Small Beet, peeled and chopped
1 Frozen Banana
1 Cup Raspberries
2 1/2 – 3 Cups Almond Milk
1/4 tsp Vanilla
1 Tbsp. Hemp Hearts
A Scoop of Greens or Protein Powder (optional – I used these greens)

1. Puree all the ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth. You may want to add a little more or less milk depending on your thickness preference.
  2. Garnish with hemp hearts, chia, or your favourite smoothie toppers.

Karlie
    March 18, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Currently watching Love as well! What a cute, feel good show 🙂 Can’t wait to try this smoothie!

March 18, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Yes! I love finding a good show, but then I always have a little sad feeling afterward because I’ve run out of new episodes. That’s not enough to make me not binge watch tho 🙂 Happy weekend, Karlie!

Heidi | Enlightened Decadence
    March 19, 2017 at 4:53 am

“internet food fads (re: mermaid or rainbow coloured anything)” that made me L-O-L. This looks so good, Sophie! Looking forward to trying it.
    xx

March 19, 2017 at 5:15 pm

lol, thanks Heidi! If you want a good laugh, check this link out Yay for spring indeed!!!

Jess @Nourished by Nutrition
    March 19, 2017 at 10:30 am

Yes! I’ve had such a similar experience with veggies in smoothies but found that frozen cauliflower and zucchini work wonderfully WITH the other ingredients. I also think that it’s great that such bug influencers are sharing this concept with the masses. If that’s what it takes for people to start incorporating more veggies and trying new things, I’m all for it. This smoothie looks so bright and delicious. The perfect balance of fruits and veggies. xx

March 19, 2017 at 6:19 pm

Totally, it’s all about the WITH. I don’t know if I could ever love a banana-less smoothie, tbh. Maybe I’ll get there eventually. You’re right about how great it is that others influences are sharing their ideas. So much of healthy eating is learning , being inspired by others, and sharing your discovers. I have so much love for the communal aspect of it all xox

Sarah | Well and Full
    March 19, 2017 at 5:32 pm

I LOVE sneaking veggies into smoothies… cauliflower is one of my favorites because it’s not super assertive in flavor. And I love beets because of the beautiful color! So this smoothie is a home-run for me 😉

March 19, 2017 at 6:13 pm

Ah, yeah!! I’m so happy to hear that Sarah! Isn’t cauliflower amazing? Smoothies, pizza, ‘wings’, what can’t it do? Here’s to veggie smoothies <3 xox

heather (delicious not gorgeous)
    March 19, 2017 at 7:59 pm

i’ve been shy about veggies in my smoothies (except for the occasional handful of leafy greens), but cauliflower and zucchini are pretty mild and sweet, so i can imagine how well they’d work in here (: as long as there’s a banana (smoothies just don’t taste sweet enough to me without it), i’m game for anything!

March 21, 2017 at 1:56 am

Banana smoothies for life!! I once found a site with ‘savoury smoothies’ and I was like “nope, not going to happen”. You’re right about the veggies being mild and sweet. They basically just add some creaminess and vitamins, and let the fruit be the star.

Ruby & Cake
    March 20, 2017 at 1:22 am

I am not confident in putting veggies in my smoothies (too many bad and shameful experiences with green smoothies) – and have never even heard of putting cauliflower in them before! This is intriguing and confusing but something I will have to try because cauliflower is so different and delicious.
    GBBO is not going to be the same without Mel and Sue 🙁 A lot of people are going to miss those two x

March 21, 2017 at 6:23 pm

Lol, I’m sorry to hear that green smoothies were scaring! It’s true thought. I hated them at first until I found out the key was spinach (softer, sweeter, less gross) and things like pineapple.

GBBO will never be the same. I was secretly hoping they’d choose Richard Ayoade (becuase he’s so darn cute 🙂 ) to be a host. No luck…

Shannon
    March 20, 2017 at 3:56 am

This smoothie is stunning! Not to mention that it’s full of unique, creative ingredients. I can’t wait to try it out!

March 21, 2017 at 1:53 am

Oh thank you so much, Shannon! I hope you enjoy <3

Ruby
    March 20, 2017 at 5:02 pm

I have been skeptical of adding cauliflower to smoothies, but I love your take on it. There sounds like there is so much flavor in there, plus it’s my favorite color to drink 🙂 I think I will finally have to give in and try!

March 21, 2017 at 1:52 am

I totally see your apprehension, and I don’t know how these people drink banana-less smoothies. A little goes a long way, for sure 😉 And YES those beets do make for the prettiest colour of all.

fatimah
    March 20, 2017 at 10:07 pm

Wow! Cauliflower in a smoothie? I have to try this, but I definitely need some sort of fruit in any smoothie haha

March 21, 2017 at 1:51 am

Lol, it sounds weird, right? Too much is definitely a bad thing, but just a little makes it creamy and you won’t even notice the flavour
      (the banana helps too 😉 )

Jessie Snyder
    March 22, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Can I just say how gorgeous your site has taken off lately Sophie?! I’m just enamored with you work. So beautiful. Cheers to cauli in smoothies too! And the What The Health movie – life changing. xx

March 22, 2017 at 9:27 pm

Awe, buddy! You’re too kind (blushing over here). I’m super stoked to watch WTH! I’m hoping to get some friends together and have a good old fashioned movie night, with lots of healthy snacks 🙂